Anglers Find Live Turtle Under Ice

Home Page Forums API Global Weird / Baffling News Anglers Find Live Turtle Under Ice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Tue Nov 22,12:12 PM ET

STOCKHOLM, Sweden – Anglers fishing in a frozen river came home with a highly unusual catch — a live turtle they found trapped under the ice.

“My friends did not believe me but then saw it for themselves. And right then it moved,” Anna Nyberg said Monday.

After cutting a hole in the ice in the Rodan river, about 400 miles north of Stockholm, the group managed to remove the turtle, which is now temporarily living in Nyberg’s bathtub.

Nyberg said wildlife experts in Stockholm told her that the nearly 10-inch turtle probably was of a South or Central American species that would not be expected to survive the grim Swedish winter.

However, Nyberg said she believes it probably was a North American species that can remain under the ice for 150 days by lying dormant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051122/ap_on_fe_st/sweden_ice_turtle;_ylt=Avm02bz_UzSikqddBDaPkhwsQE4F;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

• Author

Anonymous

Tue Nov 22,12:12 PM ET

STOCKHOLM, Sweden – Anglers fishing in a frozen river came home with a highly unusual catch — a live turtle they found trapped under the ice.

“My friends did not believe me but then saw it for themselves. And right then it moved,” Anna Nyberg said Monday.

After cutting a hole in the ice in the Rodan river, about 400 miles north of Stockholm, the group managed to remove the turtle, which is now temporarily living in Nyberg’s bathtub.

Nyberg said wildlife experts in Stockholm told her that the nearly 10-inch turtle probably was of a South or Central American species that would not be expected to survive the grim Swedish winter.

However, Nyberg said she believes it probably was a North American species that can remain under the ice for 150 days by lying dormant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051122/ap_on_fe_st/sweden_ice_turtle;_ylt=Avm02bz_UzSikqddBDaPkhwsQE4F;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.