Bigfoot? It’s all a big lie

Home Page Forums API Asia Malaysian Bigfoot Special Bigfoot? It’s all a big lie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

New Straits Times 16 Dec 2006 by Eileen Ng

KUALA LUMPUR: The Johor Bigfoot is a hoax. This is the view of the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry, which said there was no concrete evidence to back up the creature’s existence.

However, the ministry’s stand has not gone down well with the Johor state government which is keeping an open mind on the matter.

The ministry’s parliamentary secretary, Datuk Sazmi Miah, said no droppings or hair of the creature had ever been found.

He said the state Wildlife Department had been monitoring the jungles of Johor for the past 40 years and there was no firm evidence to prove the creature’s existence.

Remote-sensing cameras were also set up in the jungles a few years ago to capture animals’ movements and, so far, the only sightings were of known animals.

“If there’s truly a Bigfoot, there would have been firm evidence of its existence or the cameras would have captured its image or movements,” he told the New Straits Times.

He believed the hoax was perpetrated by certain quarters to generate interest among foreign scientists who were interested in obtaining the jungle’s lush flora and fauna.

To a question, Sazmi said eyewitnesses, who claimed to have seen the creature, could have mistaken an ape (mawas) or sun bear for a Bigfoot.

“To date, the evidence has been a so-called footprint.

“Don’t tell me that the creature walked on one leg? That’s not possible,” he scoffed.

Meanwhile, Johor’s Tourism and Environment Committee chairman Freddie Long said the state government was keeping an open mind over the creature’s existence.

“No one can simply dismiss its existence.

“Our jungles are 248 million years old with numerous species yet to be discovered.

“How could he (Sazmi) make such a sweeping statement?” said the irate Long.

He said the creature’s existence needed some time to be verified. “We are very keen to pursue this and welcome researchers and scientists to contact us on their investigations into the Johor Bigfoot.”

He pointed out that the Loch Ness monster in Scotland had never been proven, but that did not prevent droves of tourists from trying to catch a glimpse of the creature.

“Similarly, with the Johor Bigfoot, it has created a lot of interest and we have seen an influx of tourists coming in.”

Anonymous

Interesting, New Straits Times seldom carry the Malaysian Bigfoot in a negative light…

Anonymous

INteresting reply from a Johorean:-

New Straits Times » Letters

No Bigfoot? Don’t be such a spoilsport!
          19 Dec 2006
          CECILIA LEE, Johor Baru

I FEEL compelled to respond to the sweeping statement by Natural Resources and Environment Ministry parliamentary secretary Datuk Sazmi Miah (“Bigfoot? It’s all a big lie” — NST, Dec 16).

The issue here is not whether Bigfoot is for real or a hoax. It’s the mystery about this elusive creature that continues to captivate Malaysians and foreigners alike. Like it or not, Bigfoot, like the Loch Ness monster in Scotland, is an international phenomenon.

We should cash in on the incredible interest in Bigfoot to boost tourism. I am baffled how people like Sazmi seem oblivious to these opportunities.

The country can do without such armchair critics, who probably have never visited Johor’s forests nor appreciate the rich diversity of its flora and fauna.

For me, a simple housewife, it’s stories like Bigfoot which continue to capture my imagination.

In a world filled with bad news about killings, corruption and disaster, I would rather read about Bigfoot. And I don’t care if it’s for real or a bluff.

All that matters is the mystery, fantasy, folklore and fascinating stories about people’s close encounters with Bigfoot. That’s enough to keep me enthralled.

So who is Sazmi to say Bigfoot is a hoax?

• Author

Anonymous

New Straits Times 16 Dec 2006 by Eileen Ng

KUALA LUMPUR: The Johor Bigfoot is a hoax. This is the view of the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry, which said there was no concrete evidence to back up the creature’s existence.

However, the ministry’s stand has not gone down well with the Johor state government which is keeping an open mind on the matter.

The ministry’s parliamentary secretary, Datuk Sazmi Miah, said no droppings or hair of the creature had ever been found.

He said the state Wildlife Department had been monitoring the jungles of Johor for the past 40 years and there was no firm evidence to prove the creature’s existence.

Remote-sensing cameras were also set up in the jungles a few years ago to capture animals’ movements and, so far, the only sightings were of known animals.

“If there’s truly a Bigfoot, there would have been firm evidence of its existence or the cameras would have captured its image or movements,” he told the New Straits Times.

He believed the hoax was perpetrated by certain quarters to generate interest among foreign scientists who were interested in obtaining the jungle’s lush flora and fauna.

To a question, Sazmi said eyewitnesses, who claimed to have seen the creature, could have mistaken an ape (mawas) or sun bear for a Bigfoot.

“To date, the evidence has been a so-called footprint.

“Don’t tell me that the creature walked on one leg? That’s not possible,” he scoffed.

Meanwhile, Johor’s Tourism and Environment Committee chairman Freddie Long said the state government was keeping an open mind over the creature’s existence.

“No one can simply dismiss its existence.

“Our jungles are 248 million years old with numerous species yet to be discovered.

“How could he (Sazmi) make such a sweeping statement?” said the irate Long.

He said the creature’s existence needed some time to be verified. “We are very keen to pursue this and welcome researchers and scientists to contact us on their investigations into the Johor Bigfoot.”

He pointed out that the Loch Ness monster in Scotland had never been proven, but that did not prevent droves of tourists from trying to catch a glimpse of the creature.

“Similarly, with the Johor Bigfoot, it has created a lot of interest and we have seen an influx of tourists coming in.”

Anonymous

Interesting, New Straits Times seldom carry the Malaysian Bigfoot in a negative light…

Anonymous

INteresting reply from a Johorean:-

New Straits Times » Letters

No Bigfoot? Don’t be such a spoilsport!
                19 Dec 2006
                CECILIA LEE, Johor Baru

I FEEL compelled to respond to the sweeping statement by Natural Resources and Environment Ministry parliamentary secretary Datuk Sazmi Miah (“Bigfoot? It’s all a big lie” — NST, Dec 16).

The issue here is not whether Bigfoot is for real or a hoax. It’s the mystery about this elusive creature that continues to captivate Malaysians and foreigners alike. Like it or not, Bigfoot, like the Loch Ness monster in Scotland, is an international phenomenon.

We should cash in on the incredible interest in Bigfoot to boost tourism. I am baffled how people like Sazmi seem oblivious to these opportunities.

The country can do without such armchair critics, who probably have never visited Johor’s forests nor appreciate the rich diversity of its flora and fauna.

For me, a simple housewife, it’s stories like Bigfoot which continue to capture my imagination.

In a world filled with bad news about killings, corruption and disaster, I would rather read about Bigfoot. And I don’t care if it’s for real or a bluff.

All that matters is the mystery, fantasy, folklore and fascinating stories about people’s close encounters with Bigfoot. That’s enough to keep me enthralled.

So who is Sazmi to say Bigfoot is a hoax?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.