Durian Tomb Unearthed

Home Page Forums API Singapore API A’X’IAN Files Durian Tomb Unearthed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Saw the above “X-Files” published in Wanbao on May 15.

Durian Tomb

Looks like a lonely stone, engraved Chua Family Guardian Spirit.

Next to it are many durian trees, it is rumored that if people goes there to pluck the durian to eat, they will get stomach ache. SPI researchers went to eat durian in front of the “durian” tomb but nothing happen.

But who is the owner of the lonely grave stone? Why it is alone at the forest?

Fengshui comments:

The concerned grave stone is found in the patch of State Land in the junction between AMK Ave 1 and Upper Thomson Road. It is not the actual grave stone, but a guardian stone for the Chua family which must have been left behind when the main tombs were cleared. According to some old people who live there, there used to be an old cemetery there, but the old cemetery was cleared long time ago.

During the course of my research of old and interesting tombs in Singapore (more to come later), I have come across some tombs belong to the Chua Family buried at AMK Ave 1 old cemetery.

I would like to share my research as follows:

Chua Mao Choon’s Tomb

This tomb was last seen around 1987 at Ang Mio Kio Ave 1. It has since been removed.

Chua Mao Choon was born in 1819. In 1839 he came to Singapore from China and join Yi Heng Company. In 1860, he became manager of Yi Heng. Chua was a businessman and established the Mao Choon Company Chop Feng Li. He also run cinemas and prostitution dens.

Chua died in Dec 1879, and the grave was erected a few months later in 1880. He has five wives, whose names also appear in the engraving of the main grave stone

It is interesting to note that since Yi Heng is a anti Ching pro Ming Dynasty assocation, the grave of Chua did not engrave Ching dynasty (光绪六年 – 1880) but mention the year of Ming dynasty (天è¿?庚辰)

One of his wives’ grave was also buried in AMK Ave 1 old cemetery. She died in 1889. Her name was Chua Family Tan Shu Wei

Anonymous

If you really want to get into trouble eating durian, couple it with alcohol. Not only will one get stomach ache, one may even end up in the ICU for days.

By traditional Chinese medication means, durians have the qualities of hot and wet, and so if the body is not acquainted to this qualities, it will cause the person to have stomach ache. For ladies, eating foods of such qualities, not just the durian (rambutan, mangosteen etc.) will often cause whitish or even yellowish discharges as well as menstrual cramp.

To counter this condition, if one is truly interested in having a durian feast, take lots of herbal drinks such as the “xia shang ju” to keep the body cooling. This way, the heat will not cause a turbulance of air in the body’s chi and the consumer will not get stomach ache. If one is not accustomed to taking herbal drinks, simply drinking lots of plain water will also do. As long as the drink is not of a heaty quality like chocolates or coffee.

Anonymous

Durian and Black Stout (Guinness Stout), is a lethal combination. A fren’s dad consumed both and he died from a major stroke.

In my kampong days, eating durians means I gotta drink herbal tea, like what Ajeyya mentioned. There is also another method to counter act the “heatiness” of the fruit, which is drinking salted water from the empty husks.

I remember that after eating durians, my mom would always pass around a salt shaker and we pour water into an empty durian husk, then add a little salt to it, rub it around in the water so it mixes and then drink it. It supposedly counters the heat, and so far, it does work. 😆

Anonymous

salt has the element of cooling in traditional chinese medication. it is not surprising that it will help reduce the heatiness from the meal.

Anonymous

@fengshui wrote:

Durian Tomb

Next to it are many durian trees, it is rumored that if people goes there to pluck the durian to eat, they will get stomach ache. SPI researchers went to eat durian in front of the “durian” tomb but nothing happen.

I just think it is stupid

Anonymous

Prior to that, I never heard of such an urban legend before… 😯 Maybe my antennaes not working well… 😕

Anonymous

Maybe the person who started the rumour happened to eat a durian with a cute wormy inside… thus with the stomach ache. 😀

Anonymous

Or maybe just creating the ‘stomachache’ problem, so that he/she will always get free durians instead of paying for it to the sellers by the roadside. Cheap way to get durians and be irresponsible after that.

Leave the shell in front of the tomb and there will be another urban legend: Ghost eats durians, leave shells in front of tomb.

Anonymous

Leave 2 shells infront of tomb, then use them as divining tools. Ask the question in the heart, then throw both up in front of oneself. If the two husks land face up is bad, both face down is bad, one up one down is good… like what is done in chinese temples… kekeke 😆

Anonymous

Actual tomb pictures of Chua Moh Choon:

Lianhe Zaobao article on tomb find published on Jul 5, 1987

Brief Synposis of tomb find:

From an area AMK Ave 1 and Upper Thomson Road behind Telecoms sub branch, there were news of 2 old tombs from a member of a nearby temple Mr Lim, 60+ years old.

Mr Lim said that the area was previously a rubber plantation, but converted in 1950’s to a village and the village was demolished in the 70’s.

According to Mr Lim, there were 3 tombs,middle main one of Mr Chua and one of his 2nd wife. The other one was demolished in the 70’s and presumably to be his first wife.

Mr Lim recalled that when the bull dozer was about to demolish the main tomb, the bull dozer broke down inexplicably and could not be restarted. Finally it was allowed to let the main tomb remain.

Mr Lim recalled that his father saw in the 1930’s some lady in kebaya (nonya) clothes coming to sweep the tomb at Ching Ming, but after that no one came at all and it was taken care of by the villagers nearby.

Chua Mao Choon is one of the colourful characters in the 19 century, so called gang leader of the Yi Hing Secret Society.

His life history could be found at any standard books on historical persons on early Singapore.

Anonymous

I love the way fengshui explained this on the anniversary dinner.. Very knowledgeable! 🙂 Thumbs up!

I am really impressed at the amout of research he did for this issue 🙂

Cheers!

Anonymous

Hi everyone.

Actually I went down to that place before. It’s not next to a durian tree, but a jackfruit tree. Serious.

Anyway great info on the tomb, Fengshui. Very informative and an enjoyable read. 2 thumbs up! 😀

Anonymous

According to Mr Lim, there were 3 tombs,middle main one of Mr Chua and one of his 2nd wife. The other one was demolished in the 70’s and presumably to be his first wife.

Recently, abductboy found the 2nd wife tomb.

Inscription of tomb:

Ming Lady Mdm Tan Sok Hui (Chua Family) from Moh Long (place of origin)
                              Year 1889 Jul 23 (Chinese date)

Stompcast has just posted a video of the Durian Tomb this week:

http://202.157.174.100/20061229-para27-duriantomb/Player.html

By the way the protective deity plate mentioned in the stompcast has already broke off into several pieces and fallen to the ground due to the weather.

Anonymous

Did they post the same durian tomb video as the last one?

I must say there lies the difference in our Research method…

Or rather… ours debunk with research/historical studies….

• Author

Anonymous

Saw the above “X-Files” published in Wanbao on May 15.

Durian Tomb

But who is the owner of the lonely grave stone? Why it is alone at the forest?

Fengshui comments:

The concerned grave stone is found in the patch of State Land in the junction between AMK Ave 1 and Upper Thomson Road. It is not the actual grave stone, but a guardian stone for the Chua family which must have been left behind when the main tombs were cleared. According to some old people who live there, there used to be an old cemetery there, but the old cemetery was cleared long time ago.

During the course of my research of old and interesting tombs in Singapore (more to come later), I have come across some tombs belong to the Chua Family buried at AMK Ave 1 old cemetery.

I would like to share my research as follows:

Chua Mao Choon’s Tomb

This tomb was last seen around 1987 at Ang Mio Kio Ave 1. It has since been removed.

Chua Mao Choon was born in 1819. In 1839 he came to Singapore from China and join Yi Heng Company. In 1860, he became manager of Yi Heng. Chua was a businessman and established the Mao Choon Company Chop Feng Li. He also run cinemas and prostitution dens.

Chua died in Dec 1879, and the grave was erected a few months later in 1880. He has five wives, whose names also appear in the engraving of the main grave stone

It is interesting to note that since Yi Heng is a anti Ching pro Ming Dynasty assocation, the grave of Chua did not engrave Ching dynasty (光绪六年 – 1880) but mention the year of Ming dynasty (天è¿?庚辰)

One of his wives’ grave was also buried in AMK Ave 1 old cemetery. She died in 1889. Her name was Chua Family Tan Shu Wei

Anonymous

If you really want to get into trouble eating durian, couple it with alcohol. Not only will one get stomach ache, one may even end up in the ICU for days.

By traditional Chinese medication means, durians have the qualities of hot and wet, and so if the body is not acquainted to this qualities, it will cause the person to have stomach ache. For ladies, eating foods of such qualities, not just the durian (rambutan, mangosteen etc.) will often cause whitish or even yellowish discharges as well as menstrual cramp.

To counter this condition, if one is truly interested in having a durian feast, take lots of herbal drinks such as the “xia shang ju” to keep the body cooling. This way, the heat will not cause a turbulance of air in the body’s chi and the consumer will not get stomach ache. If one is not accustomed to taking herbal drinks, simply drinking lots of plain water will also do. As long as the drink is not of a heaty quality like chocolates or coffee.

Anonymous

Durian and Black Stout (Guinness Stout), is a lethal combination. A fren’s dad consumed both and he died from a major stroke.

In my kampong days, eating durians means I gotta drink herbal tea, like what Ajeyya mentioned. There is also another method to counter act the “heatiness” of the fruit, which is drinking salted water from the empty husks.

I remember that after eating durians, my mom would always pass around a salt shaker and we pour water into an empty durian husk, then add a little salt to it, rub it around in the water so it mixes and then drink it. It supposedly counters the heat, and so far, it does work. 😆

Anonymous

salt has the element of cooling in traditional chinese medication. it is not surprising that it will help reduce the heatiness from the meal.

Anonymous

@fengshui wrote:

Durian Tomb

I just think it is stupid

Anonymous

Prior to that, I never heard of such an urban legend before… 😯 Maybe my antennaes not working well… 😕

Anonymous

Maybe the person who started the rumour happened to eat a durian with a cute wormy inside… thus with the stomach ache. 😀

Anonymous

Or maybe just creating the ‘stomachache’ problem, so that he/she will always get free durians instead of paying for it to the sellers by the roadside. Cheap way to get durians and be irresponsible after that.

Leave the shell in front of the tomb and there will be another urban legend: Ghost eats durians, leave shells in front of tomb.

Anonymous

Leave 2 shells infront of tomb, then use them as divining tools. Ask the question in the heart, then throw both up in front of oneself. If the two husks land face up is bad, both face down is bad, one up one down is good… like what is done in chinese temples… kekeke 😆

Anonymous

Actual tomb pictures of Chua Moh Choon:

Lianhe Zaobao article on tomb find published on Jul 5, 1987

Brief Synposis of tomb find:

From an area AMK Ave 1 and Upper Thomson Road behind Telecoms sub branch, there were news of 2 old tombs from a member of a nearby temple Mr Lim, 60+ years old.

Mr Lim said that the area was previously a rubber plantation, but converted in 1950’s to a village and the village was demolished in the 70’s.

Mr Lim recalled that when the bull dozer was about to demolish the main tomb, the bull dozer broke down inexplicably and could not be restarted. Finally it was allowed to let the main tomb remain.

Mr Lim recalled that his father saw in the 1930’s some lady in kebaya (nonya) clothes coming to sweep the tomb at Ching Ming, but after that no one came at all and it was taken care of by the villagers nearby.

Chua Mao Choon is one of the colourful characters in the 19 century, so called gang leader of the Yi Hing Secret Society.

His life history could be found at any standard books on historical persons on early Singapore.

Anonymous

I love the way fengshui explained this on the anniversary dinner.. Very knowledgeable! 🙂 Thumbs up!

I am really impressed at the amout of research he did for this issue 🙂

Cheers!

Anonymous

Hi everyone.

Actually I went down to that place before. It’s not next to a durian tree, but a jackfruit tree. Serious.

Anyway great info on the tomb, Fengshui. Very informative and an enjoyable read. 2 thumbs up! 😀

Anonymous

Recently, abductboy found the 2nd wife tomb.

Inscription of tomb:

Ming Lady Mdm Tan Sok Hui (Chua Family) from Moh Long (place of origin)
                                                          Year 1889 Jul 23 (Chinese date)

Stompcast has just posted a video of the Durian Tomb this week:

http://202.157.174.100/20061229-para27-duriantomb/Player.html

By the way the protective deity plate mentioned in the stompcast has already broke off into several pieces and fallen to the ground due to the weather.

Anonymous

Did they post the same durian tomb video as the last one?

I must say there lies the difference in our Research method…

Or rather… ours debunk with research/historical studies….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.