Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

BLACK NIGHT… THE STARS
      Horror is scary business
      By Chang May Choon

April 14, 2006

HOW do you scare yourself? You could

1. Explore an eerie, deserted dormitory alone.

2. Prick yourself with toothpicks.

3. Scream your lungs out.

These methods worked for Taiwanese actors Annie Liu and Dylan Kuo, who star in the Hong Kong instalment of the new horror anthology, Black Night. (See report on next page.)

Being new to the horror genre, both resorted to scaring themselves to prepare for their roles. They play a separated couple whose reunion brings tragedy.

Dylan forced himself to walk alone through a dark corridor of an abandoned school dormitory where the crew was filming.

‘With the wind howling and doors creaking, you’ll more or less feel spooked,’ the 29-year-old star of the hit Taiwanese drama, The Outsiders, told The New Paper.

‘You’ll feel your hair standing up, and even the air feels different.’

Annie, 25, plays a temperamental underground singer with tattoos and violent mood swings – the opposite of herself, she said.

‘She’s someone who will hurt herself to numb her heartache. But I’m more suppressed, and I don’t like to lose control over myself,’ she said.

The Hong Kong-based actress said she pricked herself with toothpicks at home.

‘I’m actually scared of pain but I wanted to experience how it feels like when your heart is aching so badly that you have to hurt yourself physically to numb the pain.’

Comparing this new role to her debut as a mafia boss’ innocent daughter in Mob Sister last year, Annie said: ‘Both are angels, but the first is a pure white angel and this one is an angel from hell.’

Isn’t she worried about spoiling her sweet-girl-next-door image?

‘No, I’m more worried that I can’t break out of the ‘ordinary person’ typecast,’ she said, sounding like a seasoned veteran despite being new to showbiz.

Maybe she’s keen to show critics who slammed her acting in Mob Sister that she is made of stronger stuff. Or she wants to flaunt the acting techniques she picked up from classes that her management company enrolled her in.

She picked a challenging role in Black Night, one that required her to scream her lungs out in numerous scenes. She said she practised at home and once screamed so hard that she lost her voice after 12 re-takes.

‘What I find frightening is to lose control of yourself,’ she said.

‘I usually like to organise my emotions and even if I’m extremely happy, I won’t show it with exaggerated expressions. This gives me a sense of security.’

Annie admitted to falling in love with Dylan – but only in the movie.

‘When we’re together, the feeling is very intense. It’s like we’re really in love with each other.’

Dylan, however, said they were good friends who could joke and play riddle-guessing games off the set. They had such good chemistry together that it sparked talk of a real romance.

There was talk that Dylan’s long-time girlfriend, who is studying in the US, saw red over the rumours. But he denied it, adding that such speculations are part and parcel of his job.

‘She (his girlfriend) understands, there’s no need to explain to her,’ he said.

Annie’s reaction? ‘This is showbiz, and what we do is to entertain people. So, just laugh it off.’

Black Night opens today in cinemas.

Why pay to watch Black Night when you can win free tickets easily?

Go here

• Author

Anonymous

BLACK NIGHT… THE STARS
        Horror is scary business
        By Chang May Choon

April 14, 2006

HOW do you scare yourself? You could

1. Explore an eerie, deserted dormitory alone.

2. Prick yourself with toothpicks.

3. Scream your lungs out.

These methods worked for Taiwanese actors Annie Liu and Dylan Kuo, who star in the Hong Kong instalment of the new horror anthology, Black Night. (See report on next page.)

Being new to the horror genre, both resorted to scaring themselves to prepare for their roles. They play a separated couple whose reunion brings tragedy.

Dylan forced himself to walk alone through a dark corridor of an abandoned school dormitory where the crew was filming.

‘With the wind howling and doors creaking, you’ll more or less feel spooked,’ the 29-year-old star of the hit Taiwanese drama, The Outsiders, told The New Paper.

‘You’ll feel your hair standing up, and even the air feels different.’

Annie, 25, plays a temperamental underground singer with tattoos and violent mood swings – the opposite of herself, she said.

‘She’s someone who will hurt herself to numb her heartache. But I’m more suppressed, and I don’t like to lose control over myself,’ she said.

The Hong Kong-based actress said she pricked herself with toothpicks at home.

‘I’m actually scared of pain but I wanted to experience how it feels like when your heart is aching so badly that you have to hurt yourself physically to numb the pain.’

Comparing this new role to her debut as a mafia boss’ innocent daughter in Mob Sister last year, Annie said: ‘Both are angels, but the first is a pure white angel and this one is an angel from hell.’

Isn’t she worried about spoiling her sweet-girl-next-door image?

‘No, I’m more worried that I can’t break out of the ‘ordinary person’ typecast,’ she said, sounding like a seasoned veteran despite being new to showbiz.

Maybe she’s keen to show critics who slammed her acting in Mob Sister that she is made of stronger stuff. Or she wants to flaunt the acting techniques she picked up from classes that her management company enrolled her in.

She picked a challenging role in Black Night, one that required her to scream her lungs out in numerous scenes. She said she practised at home and once screamed so hard that she lost her voice after 12 re-takes.

‘What I find frightening is to lose control of yourself,’ she said.

‘I usually like to organise my emotions and even if I’m extremely happy, I won’t show it with exaggerated expressions. This gives me a sense of security.’

Annie admitted to falling in love with Dylan – but only in the movie.

‘When we’re together, the feeling is very intense. It’s like we’re really in love with each other.’

Dylan, however, said they were good friends who could joke and play riddle-guessing games off the set. They had such good chemistry together that it sparked talk of a real romance.

There was talk that Dylan’s long-time girlfriend, who is studying in the US, saw red over the rumours. But he denied it, adding that such speculations are part and parcel of his job.

‘She (his girlfriend) understands, there’s no need to explain to her,’ he said.

Annie’s reaction? ‘This is showbiz, and what we do is to entertain people. So, just laugh it off.’

Black Night opens today in cinemas.

Why pay to watch Black Night when you can win free tickets easily?

Go here

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.