>>>Hurricanes Are Getting Stronger, Study Says<&

Home Page Forums API Clubhouse Anything Under the Sun… >>>Hurricanes Are Getting Stronger, Study Says<&

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

An infrared image shows Hurricane Ophelia, as the Category One storm bears down on the North Carolina coast. The number of Category Four and Five hurricanes—the most powerful, damaging storms—has nearly doubled over the past 35 years, a new study suggests. Scientists differ, however, over this statistic and whether global warming is to blame.

Photograph courtesy NOAA/NESDIS
      Link:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/0915_050915_hurricane_strength.html

Hurricanes Are Getting Stronger, Study Says

The number of storms that reach Category Four and Five—the most powerful, damaging hurricanes—has nearly doubled over the past 35 years, the study finds. However, the frequency and duration of hurricanes overall have stayed about the same.

Category Four hurricanes have sustained winds from 131 to 155 miles an hour (211 to 249 kilometers an hour). Category Five hurricanes—like Katrina at its peak in the Gulf of Mexico—have sustained winds of 156 miles an hour (251 kilometers an hour) or more.

The study finds that the increase in hurricane intensity coincides with a rise in sea surface temperatures around the world of about 1ºF (0.5ºC) between 1970 and 2004.

Writing in tomorrow’s issue of the journal Science, the study’s authors stop shy of pinning the increase in hurricane intensity on global warming. To do so would require a longer historical period of study and a better understanding of hurricane dynamics, they say.

But in an interview with National Geographic News, the study’s lead author, Peter Webster, said, “I’m prepared to make an attribution to global warming.”

If the increases in hurricane strength and sea surface temperatures were part of a natural cycle, as some scientists believe, then there would be decreases in other regions to compensate for them. But the increases found in the study are both worldwide.

“There’s a plus and minus with oscillations,” said Webster, an atmospheric scientist at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. “What we see is a universal increase [in temperature] and a universal change in hurricane intensity.”

Scientists know that warm ocean waters fuel hurricanes. Webster says it therefore follows that the more fuel there is, the bigger the storms will be. But why the frequency and duration of hurricanes aren’t also rising is poorly understood.

“The relationship between sea surface temperature and intensity is not one that has surprised us,” Webster said in a telephone briefing with reporters. “The other factors mentioned for hurricanes are more awkward.”

Results Questioned

Chris Landsea, a meteorologist with NOAA’s National Hurricane Center in Miami, said that the increase in hurricane strength that Webster’s team has observed is questionable.

Anonymous

I’ve been watching alot of Taiwan news channel, and reports of hurricanes are almost a monthly issue. Taiwan has been hit by several hurricanes for the past few months and suffered alot in damages.

I think we will see more of such reports in the future. 😕

Anonymous

@JuggerNaut wrote:

I’ve been watching alot of Taiwan news channel, and reports of hurricanes are almost a monthly issue. Taiwan has been hit by several hurricanes for the past few months and suffered alot in damages.

YA Lor…Everything seems to be unstable now….Diseases…Weather…Hiazzzz 🙄

Anonymous

Four and Five hurricanes—the most powerful, damaging storms—has nearly doubled over the past 35 years, a new study suggests. Scientists differ, however, over this statistic and whether global warming is to blame.

so dis means tat it is our fault and we are suspose to rescue the earth

Anonymous

I blame the US for not doing their part or doing more.

When asked to sign the Kyoto Protocol. US is the world’s major producer of greenhouse gases, and yet I remember all so clearly Bush saying

” I will not sign anything that will damage the US economy”

Anonymous

Thats why they are so rich ma..
                what orlean went through seems like juz part of the warning/retribution..

Anonymous

The US should watch their own movie “The day After Tomorrow”..

It is freaky how Nature minic Reel Life, or vice versa

Anonymous

@abductboy wrote:

🙄 …

😆 😆 😆

Right on ya!

• Author

Anonymous

An infrared image shows Hurricane Ophelia, as the Category One storm bears down on the North Carolina coast. The number of Category Four and Five hurricanes—the most powerful, damaging storms—has nearly doubled over the past 35 years, a new study suggests. Scientists differ, however, over this statistic and whether global warming is to blame.

Photograph courtesy NOAA/NESDIS
                      Link:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/0915_050915_hurricane_strength.html

Hurricanes Are Getting Stronger, Study Says

The number of storms that reach Category Four and Five—the most powerful, damaging hurricanes—has nearly doubled over the past 35 years, the study finds. However, the frequency and duration of hurricanes overall have stayed about the same.

Category Four hurricanes have sustained winds from 131 to 155 miles an hour (211 to 249 kilometers an hour). Category Five hurricanes—like Katrina at its peak in the Gulf of Mexico—have sustained winds of 156 miles an hour (251 kilometers an hour) or more.

The study finds that the increase in hurricane intensity coincides with a rise in sea surface temperatures around the world of about 1ºF (0.5ºC) between 1970 and 2004.

Writing in tomorrow’s issue of the journal Science, the study’s authors stop shy of pinning the increase in hurricane intensity on global warming. To do so would require a longer historical period of study and a better understanding of hurricane dynamics, they say.

But in an interview with National Geographic News, the study’s lead author, Peter Webster, said, “I’m prepared to make an attribution to global warming.”

If the increases in hurricane strength and sea surface temperatures were part of a natural cycle, as some scientists believe, then there would be decreases in other regions to compensate for them. But the increases found in the study are both worldwide.

“There’s a plus and minus with oscillations,” said Webster, an atmospheric scientist at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. “What we see is a universal increase [in temperature] and a universal change in hurricane intensity.”

Scientists know that warm ocean waters fuel hurricanes. Webster says it therefore follows that the more fuel there is, the bigger the storms will be. But why the frequency and duration of hurricanes aren’t also rising is poorly understood.

“The relationship between sea surface temperature and intensity is not one that has surprised us,” Webster said in a telephone briefing with reporters. “The other factors mentioned for hurricanes are more awkward.”

Results Questioned

Chris Landsea, a meteorologist with NOAA’s National Hurricane Center in Miami, said that the increase in hurricane strength that Webster’s team has observed is questionable.

Anonymous

Anonymous

@JuggerNaut wrote:

YA Lor…Everything seems to be unstable now….Diseases…Weather…Hiazzzz 🙄

Anonymous

Four and Five hurricanes—the most powerful, damaging storms—has nearly doubled over the past 35 years, a new study suggests. Scientists differ, however, over this statistic and whether global warming is to blame.

so dis means tat it is our fault and we are suspose to rescue the earth

Anonymous

I blame the US for not doing their part or doing more.

When asked to sign the Kyoto Protocol. US is the world’s major producer of greenhouse gases, and yet I remember all so clearly Bush saying

” I will not sign anything that will damage the US economy”

Anonymous

Thats why they are so rich ma..
                                what orlean went through seems like juz part of the warning/retribution..

Anonymous

Anonymous

@abductboy wrote:

🙄 …

😆 😆 😆

Right on ya!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.