Mystery-loving Goh brothers track down aunt of heiress

Home Page Forums API Announcements & Events API Press Room Mystery-loving Goh brothers track down aunt of heiress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The New Paper , 5th Apr 2007

Mystery-loving Goh brothers claim they managed to track down aunt of heiress who left $100m

Son’s reaction when mum tells him she may inherit millions

“Got Money Got Money Lor”

WHEN retired teacher Alfred Ho met his mum a fortnight ago, she quietly dropped a bombshell.

Mr Ho, 57, the eldest of five siblings, claimed she calmly told him that she had inherited a large sum of money.

Madam Koh Tek Heng, who is in her70s, may be one of the surviving relatives of tycoon descendant Judy Lim Chhui Ngor, who left behind an estate worth more than $100 million. (See report at bottom of facing page).

Judy Lim Chhui Ngor (sitting) with mother Koh Tek Heng and her aunties.
      Koh Tek Heng is the one sitting besides Judy on her left side.

RELATIVES

Madam Koh Tek Heng, her son claimed, is the woman sitting to the left of Miss Lim in the old photograph that was published in The Straits Times. The ad had asked for relatives of Miss Lim to come forward.

‘Madam Koh Tek Heng’ is listed in the obituary as the sister of Madam Koh Tek Leh, who was Miss Judy Lim’s mother and who died in 1978.

The New Paper found Mr Ho through Mr Raymond and Charles Goh, mystery-solvers from the Asia Paranormal Investigators (see report at top of facing page). The pair had tracked him down.

THREE-ROOM FLAT

Mr Ho said his mum had already contacted the trustees before the Goh brothers found him.

He related: ‘She called the trustees after she saw the notice in the papers. I was not aware of the search for Judy’s relatives because I don’t read the newspapers often.’

Mr Ho spoke to The New Paper from his modest three-room flat in the west, where he lives alone.

The divorcee, who is a math and English tutor, said that his mother broke the news when he visited her two weeks ago.

‘About once a fortnight, I go to my third brother’s home where she lives. In the middle of the visit, she told me matter-of-factly that Judy, my cousin, had passed away and that she may inherit quite a lot of money.

‘She said the lawyer told her that the assets will be given out next year,’ Mr Ho said.

It is understood her claims are still being verified.

While others would have greeted the news of this impending inheritance with anticipation, Mr Ho seemed almost nonchalant.

As to what the money could mean to the family, he said: ‘Got money got money, lor.’

He recalled visiting his cousin and aunt in their 141 Neil Road house in the 1950s.

‘When we were kids, we visited Judy and her mother during Chinese New Year.

‘They had a servant in the house, and the house was quite dark. They were the richest because the hongbao they gave was the biggest – $70!’ Mr Ho recalled with a laugh.

Seventy dollars back then was equivalent to more than two week’s average pay for, say, a skilled motor worker, who earned $4.90 a day.

When asked if we could interview his mother, who is in her mid-70s, Mr Ho turned down the request.

‘She does not like to be disturbed. She’s a very private person. Besides, she’s getting old.

RECENT PICTURES

‘She likes to stay home, watch TV. Sometimes she doesn’t feel well, so she doesn’t want to get excited.’

He showed us two recent pictures of his mother, taken at a relative’s wedding.

Alfred Ho, together with a recent photo for his mother

The woman in the wedding photo had a strong jawline, similar to the woman in the published black-and-white photograph. They also smiled the same way.

Mr Ho said the woman who is standing in the black-and-white photo is another aunt and that she died ‘a long time ago’.

‘According to my mum, the three daughters of this aunt have contacted the trustee board.

‘My mum also had an adopted brother, but he recently died in Australia without any children,’ Mr Ho said.

On whether he asked his mum how much money she may receive, Mr Ho said no.

‘I just felt happy for her. She didn’t say how she will use the money.

‘Most of it will probably be put under a trustee since it may be a huge amount. Some of it may go towards food. That’s all I can think of – she’s too old to travel.’

Mr Ho said that when he was growing up, his father, a civil servant, supported the family. They were not poor, he added.

When Mr Ho’s father died in 1978 , his mother took on a housekeeping job for a few years.

According to the burial records that the Goh brothers dug up, the elder Mr Ho died five days before Madam Koh’s sister.

DISTRAUGHT

Mr Ho was in his 20s then, but he did not recall his mother being distraught by the loss of her husband and sister within the same week.

‘I had no idea. Maybe she kept her feelings to herself,’ he said.

For now, Mr Ho doesn’t feel there’s a need to have a family discussion to decide on what to do with the money if Madam Koh does receive it.

‘She’s still able to make decisions. Whatever it is, it won’t affect our family relationship very much.

The Goh Brothers track down son of Koh Tek Heng based on an obituary notice

Picture of amateur sleuths, taken from asiaone.com website

LIKE the Hardy Boys, the pair of amateur detectives popularised in children’s fiction, the Goh brothers claimed to have solved the mystery of Lim Chhui Ngor’s missing kin.

Given that Koh Tek Heng’s honorific was ‘Madam’ in her sister’s obituary, the brothers deduced that she was married.

They asked the National Archives to search for a marriage certificate containing her name.

On the same day The New Paper report on their search appeared, Mr Charles Goh, 39, got a call that the marriage record has been found.

‘The woman at the National Archives said it took seven days to manually find the record, because the search years I gave, 1942-1945 and 1952-1955, yielded no result.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE

‘She went beyond the call of duty to search through other years and finally found Madam Koh Tek Heng’s record in 1949,’ he said.

Mr Goh paid $70 for a copy of the marriage certificate, and proceeded to check the public burial records for Madam Koh’s husband’s name.

Her name had not been found in an earlier search of the public burial records, leaving them without a lead.

Mr Goh said: ‘I was lucky. Her husband was buried in a public cemetery. A check with his date of birth confirmed he was the man we were looking for!’

Mr Raymond Goh, 43, then went to the tomb for a check. The tombstone was engraved with the names of Madam Koh Tek Heng’s children.

The elder Goh said: ‘We did a search on the telephone directory and found her eldest son (Alfred). His Chinese name is quite unique.

‘ When I asked him over the phone whether he was related to Madam Koh Tek Leh (Ms Judy Lim’s mother), he said he called her aunt.

‘We felt we had hit the jackpot.’

It remains to be seen whether their finding is true.

When The New Paper called the trustee board, it said it was its policy not to comment.

The Electric New Paper Apr 5, 2007
      By Teh Jen Lee

新加坡富婆上亿遗产无人继承 陌生人好奇欲解谜
      查看原文:http://www.sznews.com/news/../photo/content/2007-03/29/content_994305.htm

这张泛黄的照片,成了寻找上亿财产继承人的线索

吴安龙(左)和吴安全(右)两兄弟,希望找到林翠娥的遗产继承人。

新加坡神秘富婆林翠娥死后留下上亿元财产无人继承,代为管理她名下资产的信托公司于是登报寻找她的亲人。这起事件引起一对兄弟的兴趣,他们从坟场、报章、二次大战文献到新加坡国家档案一一追查,只为揭开这个谜团。

据两兄弟了解,林翠娥的曾祖父当年留下一份语焉不详的怪遗嘱,使得后人七度打官司争财产。

43岁的药剂师雷蒙与39岁的职业健康与安全经理查尔斯,是一个叫亚洲灵异事件调查俱乐部的创办人,解谜可说是他们的兴趣。这对吴姓兄弟近来出钱又出力,自3月13日开始到处搜寻资料,不禁让人怀疑,他们是不是希望找到林家的财产继承人,可以领赏?但他们说,“这是一个谜,我们只想解开这个谜。”

富婆没立遗嘱

说到调查结果,他们声称从档案中发现,林翠娥的曾祖父林友潮(译音)当年在遗嘱上说明将财产分赠给“亲人”,但却没有说明“亲人”的定义。因此,林友潮的后人前后四度入禀法庭,要求法庭对“亲人”一词作出裁决。

林氏后人另三度上庭,则是针对遗嘱上的一个怪规定,即财产必须等到他的最后一个去世的孩子,逝世21年后才能拿来分。

他最后一个去世的孩子是他的养子林文宾,但目前下落不明。因此,林友潮的后人再次入庭,请法庭确定一些行政手续和定义。

查尔斯说:“现在我们要找的是林文宾或他的亲人。如果他还活着,现在也有90多岁了。”

从坟场找到历史档案馆

为了寻找林氏的财产继承人,与林家非亲非故的吴氏兄弟,自己出钱又出力,从坟场找到历史档案馆。以下是他们的路线图:

第一站是蔡厝港坟场。他们要找林翠娥亡母许德丽的墓碑,希望能找到她亲人的名字,但没有收获。

他们到新加坡国家图书馆寻找旧报纸,结果让他们在1978年2月23日的报纸上,找到林母的讣告,得知她有一个妹妹叫许德英。

吴氏兄弟到国家档案馆,花了35新元,查找1942至1945年之间的国民婚姻注册记录,寻找许德英的资料,但目前还没有结果。

吴氏兄弟上网查找,输入许德英的名字后,找到一份女校的校友通讯报。吴雷蒙于是前往那间女校。

查尔斯通过一个付费的法律网站搜查到,林氏后人争财产打官司的资料。

富婆是独生女

林翠娥的曾祖父、祖父和父亲相继过世以后,林翠娥便成为林家上亿财产的唯一继承人。

这位出身豪门、家财万贯的林翠娥女士,是家中唯一的孩子。她自小就有智障问题,早期曾在裕廊医院接受治疗。她是狮城英语电视剧演员林继堂的远亲,53岁的林继堂受访时曾说,林翠娥只有“5岁孩子的智商”。后来,林翠娥曾多次中风,需要人长期照顾。

林翠娥在去年6月29日过世,由于没有立下遗嘱,信托公司便在报章上刊登通告,希望找到她母亲的兄弟姐妹来继承她的财产。

Anonymous

@weixue wrote:

The most important thing is that are they going to give charles and raymond some money and are charles and raymond going to treat us 😆 😆

Weixue… wexue.. 😕

Our involvement in this mystery case is not about money, and we are not going to get, or ask for any either.

Me & Raymond when we saw the case, saw it as an opportunity to use our para-hunting skills in real life to see they measure up to a real investigation.

I am always good in researching into lost history of places, and Raymond, good in tombs reading and research.

We put both our minds and wits together and we solved it..! 😀

Our ‘returns’ for this case was complete satisfaction that what we have learnt in API, could be applied to real life as well.

You may want to refer to our Methodology for a clearer picture of what API stands for.

We want to make this world a brighter world, not a more mysterious one.

Anonymous

mostly they like go for investigation…. they just want to find out the information only…. very good can learn more the skills… 🙂

Anonymous

@mary wrote:

Charles didn’t ask us to go… because scare us later touch this and that till all information gone =x opsss…

Its true that working alone or a partner is good. Like this can concentrate more and faster … 😀

being in a real life investigation, it will not be that interesting and that simplistic like what occurs in CSI, it will have to go thru quite alot of trouble. =) He will not scare us to touch this and that, he scare only we go do nothing.

i think that working alone will not be able to be better then group work, if everyone know wad to do, they will be able to complete the task faster and effictionly..

Anonymous

@weixue wrote:

The most important thing is that are they going to give charles and raymond some money and are charles and raymond going to treat us 😆 😆

weixue..

whether are they money or small gifts is not important, what is important is during the investigations, the procedure went smoothly and it is also about the feeling of “Mystery Solved” that will really makes us glad! =) We should be proud of them and not hoping a treat from them, instead we should treat them for solving another mystery. =) am i right?

Anonymous

true spirit of investigation seeks satisfaction and to see if there is any areas for improvement. if it is merely for reward, then one is just greedy and power crazy.

many congratulations to charles and raymond for doing this for the sake of an unrelated individual, and meanwhile serving as a role model to others to know that there is still other ways for selfless service besides being enlisted in the army to serve at war, or being an outright volunteer.

and now for some less serious matter:

mary: Your expression looked weird leh O.O How come you wear nice nice de?

you mean other times charles doesn’t wear “nice nice”? charles is smiling in the photo, doesn’t look weird to me.

But ar… charles… you can open up a section and face-to-face to us of how you feel +.+

Should be proud ba.. hmmm

if pride is charles’ game, he won’t be able to be who he is today.

• Author

Anonymous

The New Paper , 5th Apr 2007

Mystery-loving Goh brothers claim they managed to track down aunt of heiress who left $100m

Son’s reaction when mum tells him she may inherit millions

“Got Money Got Money Lor”

WHEN retired teacher Alfred Ho met his mum a fortnight ago, she quietly dropped a bombshell.

Mr Ho, 57, the eldest of five siblings, claimed she calmly told him that she had inherited a large sum of money.

Madam Koh Tek Heng, who is in her70s, may be one of the surviving relatives of tycoon descendant Judy Lim Chhui Ngor, who left behind an estate worth more than $100 million. (See report at bottom of facing page).

Judy Lim Chhui Ngor (sitting) with mother Koh Tek Heng and her aunties.
                  Koh Tek Heng is the one sitting besides Judy on her left side.

RELATIVES

Madam Koh Tek Heng, her son claimed, is the woman sitting to the left of Miss Lim in the old photograph that was published in The Straits Times. The ad had asked for relatives of Miss Lim to come forward.

‘Madam Koh Tek Heng’ is listed in the obituary as the sister of Madam Koh Tek Leh, who was Miss Judy Lim’s mother and who died in 1978.

The New Paper found Mr Ho through Mr Raymond and Charles Goh, mystery-solvers from the Asia Paranormal Investigators (see report at top of facing page). The pair had tracked him down.

THREE-ROOM FLAT

Mr Ho said his mum had already contacted the trustees before the Goh brothers found him.

He related: ‘She called the trustees after she saw the notice in the papers. I was not aware of the search for Judy’s relatives because I don’t read the newspapers often.’

Mr Ho spoke to The New Paper from his modest three-room flat in the west, where he lives alone.

The divorcee, who is a math and English tutor, said that his mother broke the news when he visited her two weeks ago.

‘About once a fortnight, I go to my third brother’s home where she lives. In the middle of the visit, she told me matter-of-factly that Judy, my cousin, had passed away and that she may inherit quite a lot of money.

‘She said the lawyer told her that the assets will be given out next year,’ Mr Ho said.

It is understood her claims are still being verified.

While others would have greeted the news of this impending inheritance with anticipation, Mr Ho seemed almost nonchalant.

As to what the money could mean to the family, he said: ‘Got money got money, lor.’

He recalled visiting his cousin and aunt in their 141 Neil Road house in the 1950s.

‘When we were kids, we visited Judy and her mother during Chinese New Year.

‘They had a servant in the house, and the house was quite dark. They were the richest because the hongbao they gave was the biggest – $70!’ Mr Ho recalled with a laugh.

Seventy dollars back then was equivalent to more than two week’s average pay for, say, a skilled motor worker, who earned $4.90 a day.

When asked if we could interview his mother, who is in her mid-70s, Mr Ho turned down the request.

‘She does not like to be disturbed. She’s a very private person. Besides, she’s getting old.

RECENT PICTURES

‘She likes to stay home, watch TV. Sometimes she doesn’t feel well, so she doesn’t want to get excited.’

He showed us two recent pictures of his mother, taken at a relative’s wedding.

Alfred Ho, together with a recent photo for his mother

The woman in the wedding photo had a strong jawline, similar to the woman in the published black-and-white photograph. They also smiled the same way.

Mr Ho said the woman who is standing in the black-and-white photo is another aunt and that she died ‘a long time ago’.

‘According to my mum, the three daughters of this aunt have contacted the trustee board.

‘My mum also had an adopted brother, but he recently died in Australia without any children,’ Mr Ho said.

On whether he asked his mum how much money she may receive, Mr Ho said no.

‘I just felt happy for her. She didn’t say how she will use the money.

‘Most of it will probably be put under a trustee since it may be a huge amount. Some of it may go towards food. That’s all I can think of – she’s too old to travel.’

Mr Ho said that when he was growing up, his father, a civil servant, supported the family. They were not poor, he added.

When Mr Ho’s father died in 1978 , his mother took on a housekeeping job for a few years.

According to the burial records that the Goh brothers dug up, the elder Mr Ho died five days before Madam Koh’s sister.

DISTRAUGHT

Mr Ho was in his 20s then, but he did not recall his mother being distraught by the loss of her husband and sister within the same week.

‘I had no idea. Maybe she kept her feelings to herself,’ he said.

For now, Mr Ho doesn’t feel there’s a need to have a family discussion to decide on what to do with the money if Madam Koh does receive it.

‘She’s still able to make decisions. Whatever it is, it won’t affect our family relationship very much.

The Goh Brothers track down son of Koh Tek Heng based on an obituary notice

Picture of amateur sleuths, taken from asiaone.com website

LIKE the Hardy Boys, the pair of amateur detectives popularised in children’s fiction, the Goh brothers claimed to have solved the mystery of Lim Chhui Ngor’s missing kin.

Given that Koh Tek Heng’s honorific was ‘Madam’ in her sister’s obituary, the brothers deduced that she was married.

They asked the National Archives to search for a marriage certificate containing her name.

On the same day The New Paper report on their search appeared, Mr Charles Goh, 39, got a call that the marriage record has been found.

‘The woman at the National Archives said it took seven days to manually find the record, because the search years I gave, 1942-1945 and 1952-1955, yielded no result.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE

‘She went beyond the call of duty to search through other years and finally found Madam Koh Tek Heng’s record in 1949,’ he said.

Mr Goh paid $70 for a copy of the marriage certificate, and proceeded to check the public burial records for Madam Koh’s husband’s name.

Her name had not been found in an earlier search of the public burial records, leaving them without a lead.

Mr Goh said: ‘I was lucky. Her husband was buried in a public cemetery. A check with his date of birth confirmed he was the man we were looking for!’

Mr Raymond Goh, 43, then went to the tomb for a check. The tombstone was engraved with the names of Madam Koh Tek Heng’s children.

The elder Goh said: ‘We did a search on the telephone directory and found her eldest son (Alfred). His Chinese name is quite unique.

‘ When I asked him over the phone whether he was related to Madam Koh Tek Leh (Ms Judy Lim’s mother), he said he called her aunt.

‘We felt we had hit the jackpot.’

It remains to be seen whether their finding is true.

When The New Paper called the trustee board, it said it was its policy not to comment.

The Electric New Paper Apr 5, 2007
                  By Teh Jen Lee

新加坡富婆上亿遗产无人继承 陌生人好奇欲解谜
                  查看原文:http://www.sznews.com/news/../photo/content/2007-03/29/content_994305.htm

这张泛黄的照片,成了寻找上亿财产继承人的线索

吴安龙(左)和吴安全(右)两兄弟,希望找到林翠娥的遗产继承人。

新加坡神秘富婆林翠娥死后留下上亿元财产无人继承,代为管理她名下资产的信托公司于是登报寻找她的亲人。这起事件引起一对兄弟的兴趣,他们从坟场、报章、二次大战文献到新加坡国家档案一一追查,只为揭开这个谜团。

据两兄弟了解,林翠娥的曾祖父当年留下一份语焉不详的怪遗嘱,使得后人七度打官司争财产。

43岁的药剂师雷蒙与39岁的职业健康与安全经理查尔斯,是一个叫亚洲灵异事件调查俱乐部的创办人,解谜可说是他们的兴趣。这对吴姓兄弟近来出钱又出力,自3月13日开始到处搜寻资料,不禁让人怀疑,他们是不是希望找到林家的财产继承人,可以领赏?但他们说,“这是一个谜,我们只想解开这个谜。”

富婆没立遗嘱

说到调查结果,他们声称从档案中发现,林翠娥的曾祖父林友潮(译音)当年在遗嘱上说明将财产分赠给“亲人”,但却没有说明“亲人”的定义。因此,林友潮的后人前后四度入禀法庭,要求法庭对“亲人”一词作出裁决。

林氏后人另三度上庭,则是针对遗嘱上的一个怪规定,即财产必须等到他的最后一个去世的孩子,逝世21年后才能拿来分。

他最后一个去世的孩子是他的养子林文宾,但目前下落不明。因此,林友潮的后人再次入庭,请法庭确定一些行政手续和定义。

查尔斯说:“现在我们要找的是林文宾或他的亲人。如果他还活着,现在也有90多岁了。”

从坟场找到历史档案馆

为了寻找林氏的财产继承人,与林家非亲非故的吴氏兄弟,自己出钱又出力,从坟场找到历史档案馆。以下是他们的路线图:

第一站是蔡厝港坟场。他们要找林翠娥亡母许德丽的墓碑,希望能找到她亲人的名字,但没有收获。

他们到新加坡国家图书馆寻找旧报纸,结果让他们在1978年2月23日的报纸上,找到林母的讣告,得知她有一个妹妹叫许德英。

吴氏兄弟到国家档案馆,花了35新元,查找1942至1945年之间的国民婚姻注册记录,寻找许德英的资料,但目前还没有结果。

吴氏兄弟上网查找,输入许德英的名字后,找到一份女校的校友通讯报。吴雷蒙于是前往那间女校。

查尔斯通过一个付费的法律网站搜查到,林氏后人争财产打官司的资料。

富婆是独生女

林翠娥的曾祖父、祖父和父亲相继过世以后,林翠娥便成为林家上亿财产的唯一继承人。

这位出身豪门、家财万贯的林翠娥女士,是家中唯一的孩子。她自小就有智障问题,早期曾在裕廊医院接受治疗。她是狮城英语电视剧演员林继堂的远亲,53岁的林继堂受访时曾说,林翠娥只有“5岁孩子的智商”。后来,林翠娥曾多次中风,需要人长期照顾。

林翠娥在去年6月29日过世,由于没有立下遗嘱,信托公司便在报章上刊登通告,希望找到她母亲的兄弟姐妹来继承她的财产。

Anonymous

@weixue wrote:

Weixue… wexue.. 😕

Our involvement in this mystery case is not about money, and we are not going to get, or ask for any either.

Me & Raymond when we saw the case, saw it as an opportunity to use our para-hunting skills in real life to see they measure up to a real investigation.

I am always good in researching into lost history of places, and Raymond, good in tombs reading and research.

We put both our minds and wits together and we solved it..! 😀

Our ‘returns’ for this case was complete satisfaction that what we have learnt in API, could be applied to real life as well.

You may want to refer to our Methodology for a clearer picture of what API stands for.

We want to make this world a brighter world, not a more mysterious one.

Anonymous

mostly they like go for investigation…. they just want to find out the information only…. very good can learn more the skills… 🙂

Anonymous

@mary wrote:

Charles didn’t ask us to go… because scare us later touch this and that till all information gone =x opsss…

Its true that working alone or a partner is good. Like this can concentrate more and faster … 😀

being in a real life investigation, it will not be that interesting and that simplistic like what occurs in CSI, it will have to go thru quite alot of trouble. =) He will not scare us to touch this and that, he scare only we go do nothing.

i think that working alone will not be able to be better then group work, if everyone know wad to do, they will be able to complete the task faster and effictionly..

Anonymous

@weixue wrote:

weixue..

whether are they money or small gifts is not important, what is important is during the investigations, the procedure went smoothly and it is also about the feeling of “Mystery Solved” that will really makes us glad! =) We should be proud of them and not hoping a treat from them, instead we should treat them for solving another mystery. =) am i right?

Anonymous

true spirit of investigation seeks satisfaction and to see if there is any areas for improvement. if it is merely for reward, then one is just greedy and power crazy.

many congratulations to charles and raymond for doing this for the sake of an unrelated individual, and meanwhile serving as a role model to others to know that there is still other ways for selfless service besides being enlisted in the army to serve at war, or being an outright volunteer.

and now for some less serious matter:

mary: Your expression looked weird leh O.O How come you wear nice nice de?

you mean other times charles doesn’t wear “nice nice”? charles is smiling in the photo, doesn’t look weird to me.

But ar… charles… you can open up a section and face-to-face to us of how you feel +.+

Should be proud ba.. hmmm

if pride is charles’ game, he won’t be able to be who he is today.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.