Topic 1: Bigfoot, Johor, Malaysia

Home Page Forums API Asia Malaysian Bigfoot Special Topic 1: Bigfoot, Johor, Malaysia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Finally! Thanks, abductboy, for creating this department. Studies of Crypto already started with great success, and it is about time to have a solid department for it.

And now the news reports.

The previous news can already be seen in the research paper of The Malaysian Bigfoot Enigma, and some others extracted and pasted into my personal blog (for valid reasons, of course!). And now, news regarding this will be continued in here.

The Star
      Friday March 24, 2006

Department denies erasing tracks

JOHOR BARU: The state Forestry Department did not clear tracks resembling Bigfoot footprints around Kampung Lukut and Kampung Temening in Kota Tinggi.

State Environment and Tourism committee chairman Freddie Long said the land was privately owned.

He was responding to a report yesterday which claimed that authorities had erased the tracks in a bid to discourage foreign tourists from undertaking so-called Bigfoot sighting expeditions.

“The land cleared is secondary forest and privately owned, and not part of a forest reserve,� Long told a press conference.

The government had no right to clear private land, he added.

“The owners cleared the area.�

Earlier, state Forestry director Che Hashim Hassan told The Star that the land was cleared with excavators.

“How can they say we did it when the department does not own excavators?� he asked.

“The land belongs to villagers. If they want to clear it, it is their right.�

At the press conference, Long also clarified that foreigners were not barred from entering the forests to look for Bigfoot.

“We give priority to local scientists. But foreigners interested can apply through us. Go through the proper channels. There is no ban.

“Bigfoot is of universal interest and we would like to share this with the world,� he said, adding that the state would decide whether to allow or reject an application.

Long also urged those with information on Bigfoot to tell the state.

“We have organised many surveys since December but have not seen anything unusual.�

He said researchers, who claimed to have found strands of hair supposedly belonging to Bigfoot, had not submitted samples to the state.

The Star
      Sunday March 19, 2006

Bigfoot just a figment of the imagination

TEH ENG HOCK is a big foot sceptic and he does not mince his words as he tells the world (and the media) to get over the mythical creature.

A giant footprint or three, a few strands of hair, and some torn branches – and the fabled Bigfoot had been getting more media spotlight than any Cabinet minister could ever dream of.

Since the most recent spell of sightings hit the mainstream media in December, there are no signs yet that the coverage will die off. Foreign experts and media have tried to get into the jungles, only to be barred by the state government. Some have sneaked in, such as those from the Singapore Paranormal Investigators and NBC Universal’s Sci-Fi Network.

Even the move to restrict foreigners from searching for the legendary being had caught some political headwind; Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said the search for Bigfoot is of international interest and he did not see why foreign expertise should be excluded.

The sphere of debate over the existence of Bigfoot had become extremely congested. While experts (and bandwagon-jumping politicians) continue to harp over the fabled creature, precious media space had, to a certain extent, been wasted on such coverage. After all, there are no new developments, nothing concrete to cement Bigfoot’s existence.

Usually, the media spotlight would have simmered within a dozen days after development stalls. But no, these claims of Bigfoot sightings, commonly called Mawas in Malay, are similar to the Mawi phenomenon.

Fair enough, Akademi Fantasia 3 champion Mawi was mobbed by fans and snapped by sponsors for product endorsements after his win last year. But the bigger picture can be seen when pirated copies of Mawis’s CD and other merchandise, such as t-shirts, posters and caps started hitting the pasar malam stands.

With Bigfoot, it is pretty much the same. Some retailers use ape-like masks to attract customers into their shops, and even the Johor National Parks Corporation (JNPC) has created a web page for the mythical creature.

JNPC even went to the extent of using the public interest generated to attract foreign tourism product buyers during mini-travel marts organised by Johor Tourism Action Council; the first time in Singapore on Jan 9 and again in Batam, Indonesia, on March 6.

It is surprising that no peddler has capitalised on the fad by selling Bigfoot t-shirts. If the fad lives on, perhaps Mawas fan clubs will start popping up like mushrooms after the rain, just like Mawi’s.

Although the widespread publicity had caused a Bigfoot craze, there is a suspicion that only a minority truly believe in the legend of the hairy ape-like creature. After all, there were no takers for permits to enter the forest reserves, as disclosed by Johor Forestry director Che Hashim Hassan.

It is time to move on. Precious news pages should focus on consumer sentiments and unusual natural phenomena such as the floods in Shah Alam, and a week later, the twister-like storm in neighbouring Subang Jaya.

This will not be the last story you read about Bigfoot in the local press, as long as X-Files believers are out there. I used to laugh at a former colleague for his belief in UFOs and the paranormal; I now scoff at the idea that a 10-footer can hide in the jungles undiscovered for hundreds of years. Only time will tell who gets the last laugh.

The Star
      Sunday March 12, 2006

Bigfoot mania making big news

Is he a sceptic or a believer? NELSON BENJAMIN does not reveal his stand as he reports on the Bigfoot phenomenon in Johor that currently holds many people, foreigners and locals alike, in thrall.

IT HAS been called Bigfoot, Mawas, Giant Ape and even hantu jarang gigi (jungle ghost with few teeth). Whatever it is, this hairy monster has become a hot news item, attracting media attention from as far away as Britain and Japan.

But it has been so elusive that some cynics are dismissing reported sightings of it as a clever tourist bait by Johor to put itself in the international spotlight.

The fact is that reported sightings of the Malaysian Bigfoot go as far back as 50 years ago.

It was first recorded in 1954 by a well-known American cryptozoologist, Loren Coleman.

In more recent times, travel and adventure writer Harold Stephens reportedly searched for the creature in what is claimed to be the first Bigfoot expedition in the Endau-Rompin jungles in the 1970s.

His group claimed to have found giant footprints measuring 30cm in length and half that in width on a sandbar near a river.

He said his group’s discovery attracted a great deal of publicity back in 1971.

But as excited Malaysians and foreigners pursue the Bigfoot of Malaysia, stories of these huge, ape-like animals have been passed down for generations in the orang asli community.

And many are prepared to go on record to say that they have had encounters with the creatures.

Amir Md Ali, an orang asli from Kahang, said he was catching frogs at Gunung Panti when he sighted the creature about 30m away.

Another villager, 21-year-old Herman Deraman, or better known as Along, claimed to have had a closer encounter with the creature.

He said he was having a nap inside a wooden hut in the forest when the hut started to shake violently.

“I heard a loud roar that sounded like that of a wild beast’s, which kept me awake the whole night. It was the creature we call hantu jarang gigi,â€? he related.

The recent Bigfoot mania in Johor began in December when a group of workers who were building a fishpond claimed to have spotted a family of Bigfoot creatures and discovered huge footprints in Kampung Mawai.

Subsequently, several orang asli children who had strayed in the jungles of Lenggor, Kahang claimed that they saw a huge creature resembling King Kong during their six days in the forest reserve.

Continuous reports from residents in Kampung Lukut, Kampung Mawai and Kahang further fuelled the Bigfoot stories, which beckoned many enthusiasts to the 240-million-year-old rain forests of Endau Rompin area that is said to be the creature’s lair.

But the most bizarre statement came from the Johor Wildlife Protection Society, which claimed that up to 40 of the Bigfoot creatures were living in the jungles.

The group claimed that one of the creatures was supposedly 60 years old and was nearing death.

So far, most of the eyewitness accounts describe the creature as between 2m and 3.6m tall with red eyes and dark brown fur all over its body.

Bigfoot, which is also popularly known as Mawas, is regarded as a peace-loving creature with a keen sense of smell and will shy away from people.

The recent decision by the Johor Government to form a special research committee and launch expeditions to track down the elusive creature shows that the Bigfoot mania has also grabbed the attention of local politicians.

The group mounted its first six-day expedition through the Johor National Park Corporation (JNPC) at the end of last month.

Another full-scale scientific expedition comprising state government officials and other researchers will be held next month.

On the commercial front, the Bigfoot mania has created jobs for locals around the Endau-Rompin area.

Some are now working as tour guides, and others are renting out their boats and camping gear to those who want to explore the jungles.

In no time there might even be “Bigfoot Safari� packages offering visitors a chance to look for their favourite Bigfoot in the dense forests of Johor.

Jimmy Leong, chairman of the Johor Tourism Guides Association, says the Bigfoot mania would be a boom for Johor as the news has put the state on the international tou- rism radar screen.

“However, we are taking a wait-and-see approach, as we need more than just one footprint to promote Bigfoot on a large scale,� he said.

The discovery of Bigfoot’s fur will surely be a shot in the arm for the state’s tourism industry, which saw a 26% drop for the first nine months of last year to 8.8 million visitors. It recorded 11.8 million tourist arrivals in 2004.

A local Malay daily has also cashed in on the mania by printing posters of Bigfoot reading its newspaper.

The posters were placed along major roads in Johor Baru during the official launch of the tabloid in the state last month.

Meanwhile, sceptics feel that the Bigfoot mania took off soon after the release of Peter Jackson’s King Kong The Movie at the end of last year.

Other observers, including paranormal-related reporting websites and sceptics from the government, have dismissed the huge footprints discovered as those made by wild animals such as elephants, bears, orang utan or even a cow.

The government should include members of the media in the next expedition to ensure that the public is given first-hand information and not just unverified eyewitness accounts or pictures of giant footprints.

Anonymous

OKAY, why do I get that dreaded, nauseaus feeling? Isn’t this too much sensationalism?? NST is a late comer for BF news, and they’re NOT doing a good job! And I wonder when can this Mr Kong stop lying.

New Straits Times
        25 March 2006
        Ringing phone thwarted me, says Bigfoot hunter
        By R. Sittamparam

KOTA TINGGI:

A recent close encounter with the Johor Bigfoot near Gunung Panti has turned a construction worker into a full-time Bigfoot hunter.

Kong Nam Choy, 38, (picture) who loves jungle trekking and lives alone in Kampung Lukut, found the first clear Bigfoot footprints on a tar road in Kampung Temening here in January.

He also led a team of local and foreign filming crews which found fresh Bigfoot footprints in the secondary forest near the same area on Feb 20.

The team succeeded in making the first plaster casts of the footprints of the Johor Bigfoot.

Kong guided a team of State Government officials including State Tourism and Environment committee chairman, Freddie Long to check for evidence of Bigfoot in Panti recently.

Recounting his Bigfoot encounter, Kong claimed he saw the creature going down a hill in Kampung Lukut.

Kong who often goes into the jungles of Kota Tinggi to enjoy the cool and peaceful environment, said he was alerted by a rustling sound at the hill slope in front of him.

“Fearing that it was an elephant I quickly hid behind a rock.

“It was then that I saw the Bigfoot which was more than three metres tall emerging from the jungle. It walked with a slight crouch like an old man.

“I was shaking all over with fear thinking that the creature might come towards me. However, to my relief, it stopped about 30m away and sat down on a log.”

Kong said the creature, which was covered with black hair, raised one of its huge arms, the size of a man’s thigh, and began rubbing its face.

He said he could see clearly its bushy eyebrows and long incisors jutting out slightly at the corner of its mouth.

“Although I was scared, I managed to take out my camera and emerged from behind the rock.

“But before I could take a picture, my handphone rang.

“I panicked, fearing that the creature would come after me. But it just got up, glanced at me and hurried back into the jungle.”

Earlier this month, two plantation workers at Ulu Sungai Johor claimed to have seen Bigfoot as they were going to the river for a bath.

Those with information on the Bigfoot are requested to call the State’s Bigfoot Research Committee at 07-2222221.

Anonymous

The lucky star seem to be shining on Kong, the 40 year old construction worker turn star bigfoot hunter..

Not only have he sighted in full view the face of Malaysia Bigfoot, he is also the one who found the tar tracks earlier in the sightings.

Here is his description of the Bigfoot first reported on New Straits Times, Mar 25:

“It was then that I saw the Bigfoot which was more than three metres tall emerging from the jungle. It walked with a slight crouch like an old man.

“I was shaking all over with fear thinking that the creature might come towards me. However, to my relief, it stopped about 30m away and sat down on a log.”

Kong said the creature, which was covered with black hair, raised one of its huge arms, the size of a man’s thigh, and began rubbing its face.

He said he could see clearly its bushy eyebrows and long incisors jutting out slightly at the corner of its mouth.

“Although I was scared, I managed to take out my camera and emerged from behind the rock.

“But before I could take a picture, my handphone rang. I panicked, fearing that the creature would come after me. But it just got up, glanced at me and hurried back into the jungle.”

This is such a clear description that one wonder if he had told the expeditions members and the State government officials that he had previously lead to hunt for bigfoot.

(NB : I have written here that Kong is lucky to have make these sightings. But actually he is extremely unlucky not to have capture a picture or video of the bigfoot. The ringing handphone have cost Kong millions if he have actually capture a real authentic bigfoot on his handphone even if it is for a few seconds. The 53 seconds Patterson-Gimlin video has been subjected to numerous court cases for the ownership and has ever been put on sale for a cool million dollars)

On Feb 20, he lead the international team of Joshua Gates (Destination : Truth), Malaysia (The Seekers ) and Singapore Paranormal Investigators into the forest to find the footprints.

Before bringing them to the secondary forest which he first saw the tar foot prints last month, he gave an interivew:

He said: on 18th (should be referring to Jan 18), after the rain stopped, he saw the tar footprints about 12 of them, which was clear seen then. Now, it is not so clear.

He also is able to describe the size of the bigfoot 19 x 11 in, informed about the 4.5 inch depression, and estimate the weight 250 – 300 kgs and height 8 – 9 feet of the bigfoot. He also said that the creature did not walk but jog slowly to make those tracks. (Jan McGirk of The Independent taking notes of Kong’s claims.)

But he pointed at the forest nearby and say that inside there is more foot prints, and he lead the international team and finally he located and find the footprint for the investigators!

Kong showing the path to the forest next to the tar road. Joshua Gates (Destination Truth) is seen besides him.

The whole entourage prepare to follow Kong to the jungle

Kong showing the footprint to the international team, who later made the footprint cast which was shown to the world. Therefore, based on this video evidence, it is clear that it is Kong who lead the hunters to the footprint, contrasting with media reports worldwide that the “international hunters” found them.
          Also interesting is that this internation team of hunters said they found many footprints, although they are not clear. This is in contrast with the report from Jan McGirk published on the Independent on Feb 23 (How I tracked Bigfoot through the Malaysian Jungle):

“A second fresh footprint prove impossible to find……”

“As with the two extremely faded footprinted found on the nearby tar road…..”

(For Jan McGirk’s report see http://farshores.org/c06bf20.htm)

As Charles has pointed out:

The Bigfoot print was found along the trail, heavily carpeted with a thick canopy of dead leaves, but which only a select few of the falling leaves fell onto the print. It is obvious that Mr Kong had walked the trail before. It wasn’t a search in the forest, it was a trek into a pre-determined path, to which the Bigfoot cast was found.

Based on the tar prints, and that the prints inside the forest is obviously made from the same animal who walked into the forest from the tar road, it seem to me like a ………………. rhino print !

See Kong’s drawing showing obviously 3 toed footprint, the rhino footprint from sosrhino.org and the overlapping tracks from the tar road.

If it is a true rhino, I ask that the Johore Wild Life Society take more steps to study and protect this species so that the Sumatran Rhino the critically endangered species in Malaysia (maybe less than 25 in Endau Rompin forest) may not go extinct. The same go for the elephants, the tapirs and the sun bear.

Perhaps, ironically, the Bigfoot sightings has bring more awareness to protect Malaysia wildlife, and by finding Bigfoot which is non existent, they may have found what they may have lost : the Sun bear , the tapirs and the Sumatran Rhino.

As for me, it is a blessing that I have came to know more about these beautiful creatures : Sun Bears and Sumatran Rhinos through my research to understand these bigfoot sightings…. I would like to close my article with a touching picture, that of Malaysia researcher Wong Siew Te and the subject of his love – Malaysia Sun Bear.

“Only if we understand, can we care.
          Only if we care, will we help.
          Only if we help, shall they be saved.�
          Jane Goodall (1990)

Jane Goodall is a primatologist who is famous for her life long time study of chimpanzees.

Anonymous

okay, more nonsense news. Mr Chow actually said that even if there is no bigfoot, tourist still come. just like lochness monster, proven fake and still people clamour to the place. why this example? Is he hinting that finally he admits that the bigfoot is a fake?

it’s also a way to laugh at the stupidity of human beings, not able to see a fiasco even though it’s so clear. their desire to believe in bigfoot clouded their logic.

Making a fast buck from info on Bigfoot
            12 Apr 2006
            By Chuah Bee Kim

JOHOR BARU:

You want to know about Bigfoot? No problem. How much are you willing to pay?

Information on Bigfoot, according to biodiversity researcher and Bigfoot enthusiast Vincent Chow, is coming at a price as more people clamour to learn about the creature said to be lurking in the jungles of Johor.

Chow claimed that villagers were not as forthcoming with information as before but the minute they were paid, they become very helpful and vocal.

He said villagers were asking for between RM20 and RM200, depending on the kind of information they had or the length of time they spend with the interviewer.

“I think it is reasonable because these villagers are mainly farmers and we need them to bring us to the spot where the footprints are found,” Chow said.

He said he had forked out much of his own money researching Bigfoot.

He said the villagers also lashed out at the media for making use of them to get information which sold newspapers without paying them a cent.

“Not even a cup of coffee,” was one complaint Chow had heard.

Chow also said he could not understand why some people were complaining of virgin jungles being raped by researchers searching for evidence of Bigfoot.

“The discovery of the Bigfoot footprints is enough to boost tourism, and not every tourist is going to venture into the jungle,” he said.

Citing an example, Chow said the published accounts of a 15-metre-long “monster” in a lake near the city of Inverness in northern Scotland had attracted droves of tourists since the 1930s.

“Scotland remains a big tourist draw even though the Loch Ness Monster was proven to be a hoax 12 years ago,” he said.

Chow said Kota Tinggi could be turned into a “Bigfoot Haunt”, where tourists could buy souvenirs of the creature.

“Homestay programmes which never really took off in Johor can also do with a little Bigfoot publicity,” he said.

Chow, incidentally, believes that Bigfoot is a colony of descendants of prehistoric Man, as their unique footprints were reportedly commonly found at the height of jungle-clearing activities in the 1960s.
            ========================

US body: More Bigfoots here
            07 Apr 2006

JOHOR BARU: A United States-based Bigfoot research organisation is convinced that the vast mountainous and river/swamp zones in peninsular Malaysia could ideally support a healthy, scattered population of Bigfoots.

Comparing these areas to the Olympic peninsula in Washington State where, according to expeditions by the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organisation (BFRO), a few hundred Bigfoots are believed to be present, the organisation estimates that Malaysia, with a much bigger area, could have many more Bigfoots.

The BFRO was commenting on its website a recent Bernama report on Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor’s statement that his ministry was considering making the Bigfoot mystery in Johor an attraction to bring more tourists to Malaysia.

Tengku Adnan had said his ministry would look into how to “package” Bigfoot as an attraction but would not make up stories for visitors.

BFRO said Bernama and Malaysia should not consider the Bigfoot story as tabloid material but regard it as a unique science/animal story with global interest, adding: “We predict in the future this story will be a tremendous source of pride for the entire country.”

“The best ‘indicator species’ for Bigfoot habitats in Malaysia may turn out to be wild pigs,” the website said.

“It may be their main prey,” it said.
            ====================================

Anonymous

And this SMS came in from the Star. I believe is in response to Ajeyya post: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/14/focus/13958812&sec=focus )

> One too many

Too many Bigfoot “casesâ€?. It’s becoming hilarious in the eyes of the world. We will be laughed at.

Indeed. may people are laughing. Except for those like Die-Hard Bigfoot fans from BFRO.net and Cryptomundo.com. They still believe that Kampung Lukut has bigfoot.

Anonymous

I have discovered the first report on Jan 19 immediately after Kong’s discovery of the big footprints published on China press http://www.chinapress.com.my/content_new.asp?dt=2006-01-20&sec=local&art=0120lj10.txt
                Basically what the report say is Kong found 12 big foot prints on the new tar road. At first he thought they are elephant prints, but on closer examination, he saw the prints has 3 toes! So dismissing elephant prints, he surmise that it could be due to a big heavy animal with 3 claws or toes. Kong also dismiss bear tracks as the prints seem to walk in a linear fashion.

The only possible animal that have 3 toes print here in Johor is the rhino. Its print can have a width of 11 inches. It is a well know fact for ungulates (eg rhinos) to frequently place their hind feet partially or fully over the imprints of their front feet In case of overlapping prints, the length can reach obviously 19 inches.

And if you see the prints again above, it clearly shows overlapping prints. 3 toes can be clearly seen.

I would like to rest my case……..

Anonymous

This is important. This will nail Kong to the fact that on Jan 2006 when he first stumbled onto the tracks, they were 3 toed… That makes it a rhino..

Actually the tracks clearly showed double-stamping.. it is quite weird he couldn’t recognise that..

So for him 1 month later to say that they were made by a creature walking on 2 legs with description was quite incredible. I will update the Bigfoot article with this piece of info/.

Anonymous

Let me translate the full article in its entirety so that you have fuller picture for a clearer analysis. Kong did mention he suspect a bipedal primate due to the linear stride of the footprints. (Primate do not have 3 toes though)

Kota Tinggi 19 Jan

Bigfoot at Panti?

A construction worker has discovered big footprints at Panti, and believe the “BIGFOOT” walk out from the forest, cause every place it pass, there are broken branches and also deep impression on the soil.

When it come to the fresh tar road, the mud on the foot makes an imprint on the black tar road and can be seen clearly. On the short tar road, 12 foot prints, length 19 in and width 11 in.

“TODAY JOHORE” follow him to understand the situation.

Kong Nam Choy brought this Newspapers to look at the footprints, from Long Wan Road 4 km turn to Kg Lukut, next to the small road next to Malay Cemetry, and walking 3.5 km to reach the spot.

The spot is found on the forest below Panti Hill, although it is isolated, yet there are many agricultural land, suitable for animals looking for food. The BIGFOOT print was on the newly tarred road.

Kong told “TODAY JOHORE” he was exploring Panti during holidays and looking for new ways up the hill. When he came to the spot, he found the big footprints. At first he thought they are elephants footprints, but on closer look these footprints are 1 foot or more in size, and have 3 toes!

At first he thought he saw wrongly, so he look more carely. He found they are not round tracks like elephants tracks, but another big size, clumsy and has claws or toes animal.

“This animal walks on 2 legs, and the prints appear to be linearly separately, the stride appear to the primate like”

He thinks that after the beast walk past the tar road, the other rocky sand road is unable to capture the rest of the footprints.

“Although villagers feel there are elephants around the area, these footprints do not look like elephants. If you say there are bears, we also cannot explain the straight stride.

This newspapers has also took the pictures of the big foot prints to loggers to study, but they feel it is not elephant tracks, as to what animal, they are not sure.

BBC has a video on Kg Mawai. BBC must have interviewed Kong as the video also have the exact facial description of the bigfoot which Kong gave later in another interview in late March.

Follow this link and clink on the video. This article was dated Feb 28.
                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4759018.stm

Anonymous

darn. first the poor creature walks only on one leg, given that they claim of finding just either the left or right print, not both. now the creature is further handicapped by having just 3 toes. poor thing, do they really want to make the creature so mutilated by claiming it to be a bigfoot?

Anonymous

New Straits Times – 2 news…
                        my, my… what sort of statement can this be? fake prints already proven by experts in cryptozoology as none other than overlap prints, and tales that range from animal beings to a supernatural being with sharp teeth that has the potential to harm human beings… and yet there is a law coming up to protect a creature that has yet to be proven to exist in the forests of the peninsular.

‘Bigfoot’ cannot be brought out of Johor without permission
                        19 Apr 2006
                        Sim Bak Heng

JOHOR BARU, Tues:

NO injury of any kind – including shooting – should be inflicted on Bigfoot (if it exists), which the Johor Government has classified as a totally-protected species.

The creature also cannot be brought out of the State should it be caught without the permission from the relevant State authorities.

The orders came following a report today that enforcement officers from the Wildlife Department in Kuala Lumpur were believed to have shot and caught a baby Bigfoot in Kota Tinggi two weeks ago.

State Environment and Tourism Committee chairman Freddie Long said:

“We are not sure if the department’s officers had caught a baby Bigfoot. I only knew about it from newspapers today,” he said after attending the weekly State Executive Council meeting here today.

It was reported that ten men, believed to be from the Wildlife Department, entered the forests near the Tanjung Leman jetty area, about 70km from here, in three 4WD vehicles and camped there two weeks ago.

They were said to have encountered a family of Bigfoot and subsequently shot a young one using tranquiliser gun.
                        =======================================

Bigfoot capture a tall tale
                        20 Apr 2006

JOHOR BARU: The story of a baby bigfoot being captured in Kota Tinggi appears to be just that: A tall tale.

Enquiries with the State Government, state wildlife department and national wildlife department drew a blank on the issue.

State Environment and Tourism Committee chairman Freddie Long said he read about the alleged incident in a newspaper yesterday.

“We are not sure if wildlife officers really caught a baby Bigfoot. I only came to know about it from a newspaper report,” he said after the weekly State Executive Council meeting here yesterday. State Wildlife director Abdul Razak Majid also denied knowledge.

A Bahasa Malaysia daily reported that a baby Bigfoot had been shot with a tranquiliser gun and transported to Kuala Lumpur.

Anonymous

okay, for a more complete coverage:

http://www.bharian.com.my/m/BHarian/Wednesday/Mukadepan/20060418230429/Article/

Anggota Perhilitan tangkap anak Bigfoot
                          Oleh Abdul Razak Raaff

KOTA TINGGI: Kisah Bigfoot kembali menjadi perbualan hangat penduduk daerah ini apabila sekumpulan lelaki, dipercayai anggota Jabatan Perlindungan Hidupan Liar dan Taman Negara (Perhilitan), dikatakan berjaya menangkap anak makhluk berbulu lebat itu.

Anak Bigfoot itu dikatakan ditangkap di hutan berdekatan Jeti Tanjung Leman, kira-kira 70 kilometer dari sini, selepas ditembak dengan ubat pelali, dua minggu lalu.

Berita itu tersebar selepas beberapa anggota kumpulan itu yang menaiki tiga kenderaan pacuan empat roda, dikatakan menceritakan kisah penangkapan berkenaan ketika singgah di kedai makan berhampiran Felda Tenggaroh sebelum membawa haiwan itu ke Kuala Lumpur.

Kumpulan 10 anggota itu dikatakan keluar dari hutan kira-kira jam 7 malam sebelum berhenti di sebuah kedai makan dan pasar mini di Felda Tenggaroh II.

Beberapa penduduk mendakwa, kumpulan itu yang berkhemah dan bermalam di hutan berkenaan, berkata mereka terserempak dengan tiga Bigfoot dipercayai dari satu keluarga dan berjaya menembak anak haiwan itu menggunakan ubat pelali.

Pembantu jualan di kedai itu, Halida Limat, ketika ditemui berkata kumpulan itu tidak membenarkannya melihat anak Bigfoot itu, tetapi seorang daripadanya memberitahu bahawa berita mengenai penangkapan itu akan disiarkan akhbar pada keesokannya.

Beliau berkata, lelaki itu memberitahunya, mereka adalah anggota Perhilitan dari Kuala Lumpur.

“Semuanya berpakaian biasa tetapi saya ada nampak logo Perhilitan di kenderaan pacuan empat roda yang mereka naiki,� katanya.

Pengarah Perhilitan Johor, Abdul Razak Majid, ketika dihubungi bagaimanapun berkata, beliau tidak tahu-menahu mengenai sebarang operasi menjejaki Bigfoot dilakukan anggota jabatan itu di hutan berkenaan.

Sementara itu, seorang peniaga yang enggan namanya disiarkan, berkata pada mulanya beliau tidak yakin dengan cerita lelaki berkenaan.

“Lelaki terbabit suruh saya melihat makhluk yang terbaring di bahagian belakang kenderaan menerusi cermin tingkap belakang. Saya lihat seperti makhluk berbulu yang saiznya agak besar tetapi tidak nampak dengan jelas kerana cermin itu gelap,� katanya.

Beliau cuba mengambil gambar makhluk itu menerusi kamera telefon bimbitnya tetapi dihalang lelaki berkenaan.
                          =================================

Translation:
                          PERHILITAN Officials Caught Baby Bigfoot (Perhilitan is the forestry minister people)
                          Oleh Abdul Razak Raaff

KOTA TINGGI: The story of Bigfoot became a hot topic again for residents of this area when a group of men, believed to be officials of the PERHILITAN ( Wildlife and National Parks Department ) was said to have caught a baby of the hairy creature.

The baby Bigfoot was said to be caught in a forest near the Tanjung Leman Jetty, about 70 km from Kota Tinggi after it was shot with tranquilisers two weeks ago.

The news spread after a few members of the group who rode in 3 four-wheel drives was said to tell their tale while sitting at a coffee shop near the Felda Tenggaroh (plantation) before bringing the creature to Kuala Lumpur.

The group of 10 was said to get out of the forest around 7pm before stopping at a coffee shop and mini market in Felda Tenggaroh II.

A few residents said that the group camped for the night in the forest, said that they stumbled upon 3 Bigfoots, believed to be a family, and successfully shot the baby with tranquiliser.

The shop assistant, Halida Limat, said that the group did not allow anyone to see the baby Bigfoot, but one of them said that the news about this capture will be published in the newspaper the next day.

He said that the guy told him that they were from Perhilitan of Kuala Lumpur.

“They were in plain clothes but I saw the Perhilitan logo on the 4-wheeler that they were driving,” he said.

Director of the Johor Perhilitan, Abdul Razak Majid, however, said that he did not know about any Bigfoot tracking operations by any members of the department.

Meanwhile, a businessman who asked to remain anonymous said that at first he was not convinced about the story.

“The man told me to look at the creature lying at the back of the vehicle through the back window. I saw a big, hairy creature but could not see clearly because the window was dark,” he said.

He tried to take a picture of the creature with his camera phone but was stopped by the man.
                          ==================================

Follow-up:
                          Mail & Guardian Online
                          20 April 2006

Malaysia denies capturing baby ‘Bigfoot’

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
                          Malaysian wildlife officials denied capturing a baby “Bigfoot” on Thursday, amid fevered speculation over the existence of the mythical creature in the nation’s southern jungles.

The Berita Harian newspaper reported that a young Bigfoot was caught by a group of men thought to be from the Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) near the southern town of Kota Tinggi two weeks ago.

The paper quoted local residents as saying they had spoken to men who described shooting the creature with tranquilliser darts. The locals then peeked into the back of the their truck to see a large, hairy creature.

But the department’s director general Datuk Musa Nordin denied the report.

“During the period reported, Perhilitan did not mount any operation in the area,” Musa said in a statement carried by the official Bernama news agency.

Freddie Long, the Tourism and Environment Committee chairperson in southern Johor state, said that if a Bigfoot had been captured, it should have been given to local authorities for research.

Bigfoot fever erupted last December when some workers claimed to have spotted three of the beasts, two adults and a youngster, on the edge of a Johor forest reserve.

The tale was given wide coverage in the national press, which also carried stories of other sightings, some dating back decades, and printed photographs of supposed footprints — vague impressions in the jungle floor.

Local authorities treated the claims seriously, with plans for an official expedition to track down the mysterious beasts, and setting up a telephone hotline to report sightings.

Suggestions that the story has been cooked up to lure tourists to Johor have been denied.

Stories of mythical ape-like creatures have been reported in wilderness areas all over the world. They are known as Bigfoot or Sasquatch in the United States and Canada, and yetis in the Himalayas. — AFP

Anonymous

New Straits Times
                            Letters to the editor

Set the right priorities
                            26 Apr 2006
                            L.S.L., Petaling Jaya

I REFER to the report that Bigfoot cannot be taken out of Johor without permission (NST, April 19). It is interesting that the authorities have classified Bigfoot as a totally protected species, despite doubts about its existence.

But one wonders where the priorities lie. What about the many species under threat in Johor, such as the tigers, sunbears, elephants and pangolins? There is rampant poaching and loss or fragmentation of habitats.
                            These animals continue to be hunted illegally.
                            Perhaps it is the tourist dollar factor that elevates the status of the Bigfoot so it surpasses the importance of endangered species like the rhino, tiger, sunbear and elephant.
                            But if we don’t set our priorities straight, these may one day just exist in the same fashion as Bigfoot � in our imagination.

• Author

Anonymous

Finally! Thanks, abductboy, for creating this department. Studies of Crypto already started with great success, and it is about time to have a solid department for it.

And now the news reports.

The previous news can already be seen in the research paper of The Malaysian Bigfoot Enigma, and some others extracted and pasted into my personal blog (for valid reasons, of course!). And now, news regarding this will be continued in here.

The Star
                              Friday March 24, 2006

Department denies erasing tracks

JOHOR BARU: The state Forestry Department did not clear tracks resembling Bigfoot footprints around Kampung Lukut and Kampung Temening in Kota Tinggi.

State Environment and Tourism committee chairman Freddie Long said the land was privately owned.

He was responding to a report yesterday which claimed that authorities had erased the tracks in a bid to discourage foreign tourists from undertaking so-called Bigfoot sighting expeditions.

“The land cleared is secondary forest and privately owned, and not part of a forest reserve,� Long told a press conference.

The government had no right to clear private land, he added.

“The owners cleared the area.�

Earlier, state Forestry director Che Hashim Hassan told The Star that the land was cleared with excavators.

“How can they say we did it when the department does not own excavators?� he asked.

“The land belongs to villagers. If they want to clear it, it is their right.�

At the press conference, Long also clarified that foreigners were not barred from entering the forests to look for Bigfoot.

“We give priority to local scientists. But foreigners interested can apply through us. Go through the proper channels. There is no ban.

“Bigfoot is of universal interest and we would like to share this with the world,� he said, adding that the state would decide whether to allow or reject an application.

Long also urged those with information on Bigfoot to tell the state.

“We have organised many surveys since December but have not seen anything unusual.�

He said researchers, who claimed to have found strands of hair supposedly belonging to Bigfoot, had not submitted samples to the state.

The Star
                              Sunday March 19, 2006

Bigfoot just a figment of the imagination

TEH ENG HOCK is a big foot sceptic and he does not mince his words as he tells the world (and the media) to get over the mythical creature.

A giant footprint or three, a few strands of hair, and some torn branches – and the fabled Bigfoot had been getting more media spotlight than any Cabinet minister could ever dream of.

Since the most recent spell of sightings hit the mainstream media in December, there are no signs yet that the coverage will die off. Foreign experts and media have tried to get into the jungles, only to be barred by the state government. Some have sneaked in, such as those from the Singapore Paranormal Investigators and NBC Universal’s Sci-Fi Network.

Even the move to restrict foreigners from searching for the legendary being had caught some political headwind; Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said the search for Bigfoot is of international interest and he did not see why foreign expertise should be excluded.

The sphere of debate over the existence of Bigfoot had become extremely congested. While experts (and bandwagon-jumping politicians) continue to harp over the fabled creature, precious media space had, to a certain extent, been wasted on such coverage. After all, there are no new developments, nothing concrete to cement Bigfoot’s existence.

Usually, the media spotlight would have simmered within a dozen days after development stalls. But no, these claims of Bigfoot sightings, commonly called Mawas in Malay, are similar to the Mawi phenomenon.

Fair enough, Akademi Fantasia 3 champion Mawi was mobbed by fans and snapped by sponsors for product endorsements after his win last year. But the bigger picture can be seen when pirated copies of Mawis’s CD and other merchandise, such as t-shirts, posters and caps started hitting the pasar malam stands.

With Bigfoot, it is pretty much the same. Some retailers use ape-like masks to attract customers into their shops, and even the Johor National Parks Corporation (JNPC) has created a web page for the mythical creature.

JNPC even went to the extent of using the public interest generated to attract foreign tourism product buyers during mini-travel marts organised by Johor Tourism Action Council; the first time in Singapore on Jan 9 and again in Batam, Indonesia, on March 6.

It is surprising that no peddler has capitalised on the fad by selling Bigfoot t-shirts. If the fad lives on, perhaps Mawas fan clubs will start popping up like mushrooms after the rain, just like Mawi’s.

Although the widespread publicity had caused a Bigfoot craze, there is a suspicion that only a minority truly believe in the legend of the hairy ape-like creature. After all, there were no takers for permits to enter the forest reserves, as disclosed by Johor Forestry director Che Hashim Hassan.

It is time to move on. Precious news pages should focus on consumer sentiments and unusual natural phenomena such as the floods in Shah Alam, and a week later, the twister-like storm in neighbouring Subang Jaya.

This will not be the last story you read about Bigfoot in the local press, as long as X-Files believers are out there. I used to laugh at a former colleague for his belief in UFOs and the paranormal; I now scoff at the idea that a 10-footer can hide in the jungles undiscovered for hundreds of years. Only time will tell who gets the last laugh.

The Star
                              Sunday March 12, 2006

Bigfoot mania making big news

Is he a sceptic or a believer? NELSON BENJAMIN does not reveal his stand as he reports on the Bigfoot phenomenon in Johor that currently holds many people, foreigners and locals alike, in thrall.

IT HAS been called Bigfoot, Mawas, Giant Ape and even hantu jarang gigi (jungle ghost with few teeth). Whatever it is, this hairy monster has become a hot news item, attracting media attention from as far away as Britain and Japan.

But it has been so elusive that some cynics are dismissing reported sightings of it as a clever tourist bait by Johor to put itself in the international spotlight.

The fact is that reported sightings of the Malaysian Bigfoot go as far back as 50 years ago.

It was first recorded in 1954 by a well-known American cryptozoologist, Loren Coleman.

In more recent times, travel and adventure writer Harold Stephens reportedly searched for the creature in what is claimed to be the first Bigfoot expedition in the Endau-Rompin jungles in the 1970s.

His group claimed to have found giant footprints measuring 30cm in length and half that in width on a sandbar near a river.

He said his group’s discovery attracted a great deal of publicity back in 1971.

But as excited Malaysians and foreigners pursue the Bigfoot of Malaysia, stories of these huge, ape-like animals have been passed down for generations in the orang asli community.

And many are prepared to go on record to say that they have had encounters with the creatures.

Amir Md Ali, an orang asli from Kahang, said he was catching frogs at Gunung Panti when he sighted the creature about 30m away.

Another villager, 21-year-old Herman Deraman, or better known as Along, claimed to have had a closer encounter with the creature.

He said he was having a nap inside a wooden hut in the forest when the hut started to shake violently.

“I heard a loud roar that sounded like that of a wild beast’s, which kept me awake the whole night. It was the creature we call hantu jarang gigi,â€? he related.

The recent Bigfoot mania in Johor began in December when a group of workers who were building a fishpond claimed to have spotted a family of Bigfoot creatures and discovered huge footprints in Kampung Mawai.

Subsequently, several orang asli children who had strayed in the jungles of Lenggor, Kahang claimed that they saw a huge creature resembling King Kong during their six days in the forest reserve.

Continuous reports from residents in Kampung Lukut, Kampung Mawai and Kahang further fuelled the Bigfoot stories, which beckoned many enthusiasts to the 240-million-year-old rain forests of Endau Rompin area that is said to be the creature’s lair.

But the most bizarre statement came from the Johor Wildlife Protection Society, which claimed that up to 40 of the Bigfoot creatures were living in the jungles.

The group claimed that one of the creatures was supposedly 60 years old and was nearing death.

So far, most of the eyewitness accounts describe the creature as between 2m and 3.6m tall with red eyes and dark brown fur all over its body.

Bigfoot, which is also popularly known as Mawas, is regarded as a peace-loving creature with a keen sense of smell and will shy away from people.

The recent decision by the Johor Government to form a special research committee and launch expeditions to track down the elusive creature shows that the Bigfoot mania has also grabbed the attention of local politicians.

The group mounted its first six-day expedition through the Johor National Park Corporation (JNPC) at the end of last month.

Another full-scale scientific expedition comprising state government officials and other researchers will be held next month.

On the commercial front, the Bigfoot mania has created jobs for locals around the Endau-Rompin area.

Some are now working as tour guides, and others are renting out their boats and camping gear to those who want to explore the jungles.

In no time there might even be “Bigfoot Safari� packages offering visitors a chance to look for their favourite Bigfoot in the dense forests of Johor.

Jimmy Leong, chairman of the Johor Tourism Guides Association, says the Bigfoot mania would be a boom for Johor as the news has put the state on the international tou- rism radar screen.

“However, we are taking a wait-and-see approach, as we need more than just one footprint to promote Bigfoot on a large scale,� he said.

The discovery of Bigfoot’s fur will surely be a shot in the arm for the state’s tourism industry, which saw a 26% drop for the first nine months of last year to 8.8 million visitors. It recorded 11.8 million tourist arrivals in 2004.

A local Malay daily has also cashed in on the mania by printing posters of Bigfoot reading its newspaper.

The posters were placed along major roads in Johor Baru during the official launch of the tabloid in the state last month.

Meanwhile, sceptics feel that the Bigfoot mania took off soon after the release of Peter Jackson’s King Kong The Movie at the end of last year.

Other observers, including paranormal-related reporting websites and sceptics from the government, have dismissed the huge footprints discovered as those made by wild animals such as elephants, bears, orang utan or even a cow.

The government should include members of the media in the next expedition to ensure that the public is given first-hand information and not just unverified eyewitness accounts or pictures of giant footprints.

Anonymous

OKAY, why do I get that dreaded, nauseaus feeling? Isn’t this too much sensationalism?? NST is a late comer for BF news, and they’re NOT doing a good job! And I wonder when can this Mr Kong stop lying.

New Straits Times
                                25 March 2006
                                Ringing phone thwarted me, says Bigfoot hunter
                                By R. Sittamparam

KOTA TINGGI:

A recent close encounter with the Johor Bigfoot near Gunung Panti has turned a construction worker into a full-time Bigfoot hunter.

Kong Nam Choy, 38, (picture) who loves jungle trekking and lives alone in Kampung Lukut, found the first clear Bigfoot footprints on a tar road in Kampung Temening here in January.

He also led a team of local and foreign filming crews which found fresh Bigfoot footprints in the secondary forest near the same area on Feb 20.

The team succeeded in making the first plaster casts of the footprints of the Johor Bigfoot.

Kong guided a team of State Government officials including State Tourism and Environment committee chairman, Freddie Long to check for evidence of Bigfoot in Panti recently.

Recounting his Bigfoot encounter, Kong claimed he saw the creature going down a hill in Kampung Lukut.

Kong who often goes into the jungles of Kota Tinggi to enjoy the cool and peaceful environment, said he was alerted by a rustling sound at the hill slope in front of him.

“Fearing that it was an elephant I quickly hid behind a rock.

“But before I could take a picture, my handphone rang.

“I panicked, fearing that the creature would come after me. But it just got up, glanced at me and hurried back into the jungle.”

Earlier this month, two plantation workers at Ulu Sungai Johor claimed to have seen Bigfoot as they were going to the river for a bath.

Those with information on the Bigfoot are requested to call the State’s Bigfoot Research Committee at 07-2222221.

Anonymous

The lucky star seem to be shining on Kong, the 40 year old construction worker turn star bigfoot hunter..

Not only have he sighted in full view the face of Malaysia Bigfoot, he is also the one who found the tar tracks earlier in the sightings.

Here is his description of the Bigfoot first reported on New Straits Times, Mar 25:

“But before I could take a picture, my handphone rang. I panicked, fearing that the creature would come after me. But it just got up, glanced at me and hurried back into the jungle.”

This is such a clear description that one wonder if he had told the expeditions members and the State government officials that he had previously lead to hunt for bigfoot.

(NB : I have written here that Kong is lucky to have make these sightings. But actually he is extremely unlucky not to have capture a picture or video of the bigfoot. The ringing handphone have cost Kong millions if he have actually capture a real authentic bigfoot on his handphone even if it is for a few seconds. The 53 seconds Patterson-Gimlin video has been subjected to numerous court cases for the ownership and has ever been put on sale for a cool million dollars)

On Feb 20, he lead the international team of Joshua Gates (Destination : Truth), Malaysia (The Seekers ) and Singapore Paranormal Investigators into the forest to find the footprints.

Before bringing them to the secondary forest which he first saw the tar foot prints last month, he gave an interivew:

He said: on 18th (should be referring to Jan 18), after the rain stopped, he saw the tar footprints about 12 of them, which was clear seen then. Now, it is not so clear.

He also is able to describe the size of the bigfoot 19 x 11 in, informed about the 4.5 inch depression, and estimate the weight 250 – 300 kgs and height 8 – 9 feet of the bigfoot. He also said that the creature did not walk but jog slowly to make those tracks. (Jan McGirk of The Independent taking notes of Kong’s claims.)

But he pointed at the forest nearby and say that inside there is more foot prints, and he lead the international team and finally he located and find the footprint for the investigators!

Kong showing the path to the forest next to the tar road. Joshua Gates (Destination Truth) is seen besides him.

The whole entourage prepare to follow Kong to the jungle

Kong showing the footprint to the international team, who later made the footprint cast which was shown to the world. Therefore, based on this video evidence, it is clear that it is Kong who lead the hunters to the footprint, contrasting with media reports worldwide that the “international hunters” found them.
                                  Also interesting is that this internation team of hunters said they found many footprints, although they are not clear. This is in contrast with the report from Jan McGirk published on the Independent on Feb 23 (How I tracked Bigfoot through the Malaysian Jungle):

“A second fresh footprint prove impossible to find……”

“As with the two extremely faded footprinted found on the nearby tar road…..”

(For Jan McGirk’s report see http://farshores.org/c06bf20.htm)

As Charles has pointed out:

The Bigfoot print was found along the trail, heavily carpeted with a thick canopy of dead leaves, but which only a select few of the falling leaves fell onto the print. It is obvious that Mr Kong had walked the trail before. It wasn’t a search in the forest, it was a trek into a pre-determined path, to which the Bigfoot cast was found.

Based on the tar prints, and that the prints inside the forest is obviously made from the same animal who walked into the forest from the tar road, it seem to me like a ………………. rhino print !

See Kong’s drawing showing obviously 3 toed footprint, the rhino footprint from sosrhino.org and the overlapping tracks from the tar road.

If it is a true rhino, I ask that the Johore Wild Life Society take more steps to study and protect this species so that the Sumatran Rhino the critically endangered species in Malaysia (maybe less than 25 in Endau Rompin forest) may not go extinct. The same go for the elephants, the tapirs and the sun bear.

Perhaps, ironically, the Bigfoot sightings has bring more awareness to protect Malaysia wildlife, and by finding Bigfoot which is non existent, they may have found what they may have lost : the Sun bear , the tapirs and the Sumatran Rhino.

As for me, it is a blessing that I have came to know more about these beautiful creatures : Sun Bears and Sumatran Rhinos through my research to understand these bigfoot sightings…. I would like to close my article with a touching picture, that of Malaysia researcher Wong Siew Te and the subject of his love – Malaysia Sun Bear.

“Only if we understand, can we care.
                                  Only if we care, will we help.
                                  Only if we help, shall they be saved.�
                                  Jane Goodall (1990)

Jane Goodall is a primatologist who is famous for her life long time study of chimpanzees.

Anonymous

okay, more nonsense news. Mr Chow actually said that even if there is no bigfoot, tourist still come. just like lochness monster, proven fake and still people clamour to the place. why this example? Is he hinting that finally he admits that the bigfoot is a fake?

it’s also a way to laugh at the stupidity of human beings, not able to see a fiasco even though it’s so clear. their desire to believe in bigfoot clouded their logic.

Making a fast buck from info on Bigfoot
                                    12 Apr 2006
                                    By Chuah Bee Kim

JOHOR BARU:

You want to know about Bigfoot? No problem. How much are you willing to pay?

Information on Bigfoot, according to biodiversity researcher and Bigfoot enthusiast Vincent Chow, is coming at a price as more people clamour to learn about the creature said to be lurking in the jungles of Johor.

Chow claimed that villagers were not as forthcoming with information as before but the minute they were paid, they become very helpful and vocal.

He said villagers were asking for between RM20 and RM200, depending on the kind of information they had or the length of time they spend with the interviewer.

“I think it is reasonable because these villagers are mainly farmers and we need them to bring us to the spot where the footprints are found,” Chow said.

He said he had forked out much of his own money researching Bigfoot.

He said the villagers also lashed out at the media for making use of them to get information which sold newspapers without paying them a cent.

“Not even a cup of coffee,” was one complaint Chow had heard.

Chow also said he could not understand why some people were complaining of virgin jungles being raped by researchers searching for evidence of Bigfoot.

“The discovery of the Bigfoot footprints is enough to boost tourism, and not every tourist is going to venture into the jungle,” he said.

Citing an example, Chow said the published accounts of a 15-metre-long “monster” in a lake near the city of Inverness in northern Scotland had attracted droves of tourists since the 1930s.

“Scotland remains a big tourist draw even though the Loch Ness Monster was proven to be a hoax 12 years ago,” he said.

Chow said Kota Tinggi could be turned into a “Bigfoot Haunt”, where tourists could buy souvenirs of the creature.

“Homestay programmes which never really took off in Johor can also do with a little Bigfoot publicity,” he said.

Chow, incidentally, believes that Bigfoot is a colony of descendants of prehistoric Man, as their unique footprints were reportedly commonly found at the height of jungle-clearing activities in the 1960s.
                                    ========================

US body: More Bigfoots here
                                    07 Apr 2006

JOHOR BARU: A United States-based Bigfoot research organisation is convinced that the vast mountainous and river/swamp zones in peninsular Malaysia could ideally support a healthy, scattered population of Bigfoots.

Comparing these areas to the Olympic peninsula in Washington State where, according to expeditions by the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organisation (BFRO), a few hundred Bigfoots are believed to be present, the organisation estimates that Malaysia, with a much bigger area, could have many more Bigfoots.

The BFRO was commenting on its website a recent Bernama report on Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor’s statement that his ministry was considering making the Bigfoot mystery in Johor an attraction to bring more tourists to Malaysia.

Tengku Adnan had said his ministry would look into how to “package” Bigfoot as an attraction but would not make up stories for visitors.

BFRO said Bernama and Malaysia should not consider the Bigfoot story as tabloid material but regard it as a unique science/animal story with global interest, adding: “We predict in the future this story will be a tremendous source of pride for the entire country.”

“The best ‘indicator species’ for Bigfoot habitats in Malaysia may turn out to be wild pigs,” the website said.

“It may be their main prey,” it said.
                                    ====================================

Anonymous

And this SMS came in from the Star. I believe is in response to Ajeyya post: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/14/focus/13958812&sec=focus )

> One too many

Too many Bigfoot “casesâ€?. It’s becoming hilarious in the eyes of the world. We will be laughed at.

Indeed. may people are laughing. Except for those like Die-Hard Bigfoot fans from BFRO.net and Cryptomundo.com. They still believe that Kampung Lukut has bigfoot.

Anonymous

I have discovered the first report on Jan 19 immediately after Kong’s discovery of the big footprints published on China press http://www.chinapress.com.my/content_new.asp?dt=2006-01-20&sec=local&art=0120lj10.txt
                                        Basically what the report say is Kong found 12 big foot prints on the new tar road. At first he thought they are elephant prints, but on closer examination, he saw the prints has 3 toes! So dismissing elephant prints, he surmise that it could be due to a big heavy animal with 3 claws or toes. Kong also dismiss bear tracks as the prints seem to walk in a linear fashion.

The only possible animal that have 3 toes print here in Johor is the rhino. Its print can have a width of 11 inches. It is a well know fact for ungulates (eg rhinos) to frequently place their hind feet partially or fully over the imprints of their front feet In case of overlapping prints, the length can reach obviously 19 inches.

And if you see the prints again above, it clearly shows overlapping prints. 3 toes can be clearly seen.

I would like to rest my case……..

Anonymous

This is important. This will nail Kong to the fact that on Jan 2006 when he first stumbled onto the tracks, they were 3 toed… That makes it a rhino..

Actually the tracks clearly showed double-stamping.. it is quite weird he couldn’t recognise that..

So for him 1 month later to say that they were made by a creature walking on 2 legs with description was quite incredible. I will update the Bigfoot article with this piece of info/.

Anonymous

Let me translate the full article in its entirety so that you have fuller picture for a clearer analysis. Kong did mention he suspect a bipedal primate due to the linear stride of the footprints. (Primate do not have 3 toes though)

Kota Tinggi 19 Jan

Bigfoot at Panti?

A construction worker has discovered big footprints at Panti, and believe the “BIGFOOT” walk out from the forest, cause every place it pass, there are broken branches and also deep impression on the soil.

When it come to the fresh tar road, the mud on the foot makes an imprint on the black tar road and can be seen clearly. On the short tar road, 12 foot prints, length 19 in and width 11 in.

“TODAY JOHORE” follow him to understand the situation.

Kong Nam Choy brought this Newspapers to look at the footprints, from Long Wan Road 4 km turn to Kg Lukut, next to the small road next to Malay Cemetry, and walking 3.5 km to reach the spot.

The spot is found on the forest below Panti Hill, although it is isolated, yet there are many agricultural land, suitable for animals looking for food. The BIGFOOT print was on the newly tarred road.

Kong told “TODAY JOHORE” he was exploring Panti during holidays and looking for new ways up the hill. When he came to the spot, he found the big footprints. At first he thought they are elephants footprints, but on closer look these footprints are 1 foot or more in size, and have 3 toes!

At first he thought he saw wrongly, so he look more carely. He found they are not round tracks like elephants tracks, but another big size, clumsy and has claws or toes animal.

“This animal walks on 2 legs, and the prints appear to be linearly separately, the stride appear to the primate like”

He thinks that after the beast walk past the tar road, the other rocky sand road is unable to capture the rest of the footprints.

“Although villagers feel there are elephants around the area, these footprints do not look like elephants. If you say there are bears, we also cannot explain the straight stride.

This newspapers has also took the pictures of the big foot prints to loggers to study, but they feel it is not elephant tracks, as to what animal, they are not sure.

BBC has a video on Kg Mawai. BBC must have interviewed Kong as the video also have the exact facial description of the bigfoot which Kong gave later in another interview in late March.

Follow this link and clink on the video. This article was dated Feb 28.
                                            http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4759018.stm

Anonymous

darn. first the poor creature walks only on one leg, given that they claim of finding just either the left or right print, not both. now the creature is further handicapped by having just 3 toes. poor thing, do they really want to make the creature so mutilated by claiming it to be a bigfoot?

Anonymous

New Straits Times – 2 news…
                                                my, my… what sort of statement can this be? fake prints already proven by experts in cryptozoology as none other than overlap prints, and tales that range from animal beings to a supernatural being with sharp teeth that has the potential to harm human beings… and yet there is a law coming up to protect a creature that has yet to be proven to exist in the forests of the peninsular.

‘Bigfoot’ cannot be brought out of Johor without permission
                                                19 Apr 2006
                                                Sim Bak Heng

JOHOR BARU, Tues:

NO injury of any kind – including shooting – should be inflicted on Bigfoot (if it exists), which the Johor Government has classified as a totally-protected species.

The creature also cannot be brought out of the State should it be caught without the permission from the relevant State authorities.

The orders came following a report today that enforcement officers from the Wildlife Department in Kuala Lumpur were believed to have shot and caught a baby Bigfoot in Kota Tinggi two weeks ago.

State Environment and Tourism Committee chairman Freddie Long said:

“We are not sure if the department’s officers had caught a baby Bigfoot. I only knew about it from newspapers today,” he said after attending the weekly State Executive Council meeting here today.

It was reported that ten men, believed to be from the Wildlife Department, entered the forests near the Tanjung Leman jetty area, about 70km from here, in three 4WD vehicles and camped there two weeks ago.

They were said to have encountered a family of Bigfoot and subsequently shot a young one using tranquiliser gun.
                                                =======================================

Bigfoot capture a tall tale
                                                20 Apr 2006

JOHOR BARU: The story of a baby bigfoot being captured in Kota Tinggi appears to be just that: A tall tale.

Enquiries with the State Government, state wildlife department and national wildlife department drew a blank on the issue.

State Environment and Tourism Committee chairman Freddie Long said he read about the alleged incident in a newspaper yesterday.

“We are not sure if wildlife officers really caught a baby Bigfoot. I only came to know about it from a newspaper report,” he said after the weekly State Executive Council meeting here yesterday. State Wildlife director Abdul Razak Majid also denied knowledge.

A Bahasa Malaysia daily reported that a baby Bigfoot had been shot with a tranquiliser gun and transported to Kuala Lumpur.

Anonymous

okay, for a more complete coverage:

http://www.bharian.com.my/m/BHarian/Wednesday/Mukadepan/20060418230429/Article/

Anggota Perhilitan tangkap anak Bigfoot
                                                  Oleh Abdul Razak Raaff

KOTA TINGGI: Kisah Bigfoot kembali menjadi perbualan hangat penduduk daerah ini apabila sekumpulan lelaki, dipercayai anggota Jabatan Perlindungan Hidupan Liar dan Taman Negara (Perhilitan), dikatakan berjaya menangkap anak makhluk berbulu lebat itu.

Anak Bigfoot itu dikatakan ditangkap di hutan berdekatan Jeti Tanjung Leman, kira-kira 70 kilometer dari sini, selepas ditembak dengan ubat pelali, dua minggu lalu.

Berita itu tersebar selepas beberapa anggota kumpulan itu yang menaiki tiga kenderaan pacuan empat roda, dikatakan menceritakan kisah penangkapan berkenaan ketika singgah di kedai makan berhampiran Felda Tenggaroh sebelum membawa haiwan itu ke Kuala Lumpur.

Kumpulan 10 anggota itu dikatakan keluar dari hutan kira-kira jam 7 malam sebelum berhenti di sebuah kedai makan dan pasar mini di Felda Tenggaroh II.

Beberapa penduduk mendakwa, kumpulan itu yang berkhemah dan bermalam di hutan berkenaan, berkata mereka terserempak dengan tiga Bigfoot dipercayai dari satu keluarga dan berjaya menembak anak haiwan itu menggunakan ubat pelali.

Pembantu jualan di kedai itu, Halida Limat, ketika ditemui berkata kumpulan itu tidak membenarkannya melihat anak Bigfoot itu, tetapi seorang daripadanya memberitahu bahawa berita mengenai penangkapan itu akan disiarkan akhbar pada keesokannya.

Beliau berkata, lelaki itu memberitahunya, mereka adalah anggota Perhilitan dari Kuala Lumpur.

“Semuanya berpakaian biasa tetapi saya ada nampak logo Perhilitan di kenderaan pacuan empat roda yang mereka naiki,� katanya.

Pengarah Perhilitan Johor, Abdul Razak Majid, ketika dihubungi bagaimanapun berkata, beliau tidak tahu-menahu mengenai sebarang operasi menjejaki Bigfoot dilakukan anggota jabatan itu di hutan berkenaan.

Sementara itu, seorang peniaga yang enggan namanya disiarkan, berkata pada mulanya beliau tidak yakin dengan cerita lelaki berkenaan.

“Lelaki terbabit suruh saya melihat makhluk yang terbaring di bahagian belakang kenderaan menerusi cermin tingkap belakang. Saya lihat seperti makhluk berbulu yang saiznya agak besar tetapi tidak nampak dengan jelas kerana cermin itu gelap,� katanya.

Beliau cuba mengambil gambar makhluk itu menerusi kamera telefon bimbitnya tetapi dihalang lelaki berkenaan.
                                                  =================================

Translation:
                                                  PERHILITAN Officials Caught Baby Bigfoot (Perhilitan is the forestry minister people)
                                                  Oleh Abdul Razak Raaff

KOTA TINGGI: The story of Bigfoot became a hot topic again for residents of this area when a group of men, believed to be officials of the PERHILITAN ( Wildlife and National Parks Department ) was said to have caught a baby of the hairy creature.

The baby Bigfoot was said to be caught in a forest near the Tanjung Leman Jetty, about 70 km from Kota Tinggi after it was shot with tranquilisers two weeks ago.

The news spread after a few members of the group who rode in 3 four-wheel drives was said to tell their tale while sitting at a coffee shop near the Felda Tenggaroh (plantation) before bringing the creature to Kuala Lumpur.

The group of 10 was said to get out of the forest around 7pm before stopping at a coffee shop and mini market in Felda Tenggaroh II.

A few residents said that the group camped for the night in the forest, said that they stumbled upon 3 Bigfoots, believed to be a family, and successfully shot the baby with tranquiliser.

The shop assistant, Halida Limat, said that the group did not allow anyone to see the baby Bigfoot, but one of them said that the news about this capture will be published in the newspaper the next day.

He said that the guy told him that they were from Perhilitan of Kuala Lumpur.

“They were in plain clothes but I saw the Perhilitan logo on the 4-wheeler that they were driving,” he said.

Director of the Johor Perhilitan, Abdul Razak Majid, however, said that he did not know about any Bigfoot tracking operations by any members of the department.

Meanwhile, a businessman who asked to remain anonymous said that at first he was not convinced about the story.

“The man told me to look at the creature lying at the back of the vehicle through the back window. I saw a big, hairy creature but could not see clearly because the window was dark,” he said.

He tried to take a picture of the creature with his camera phone but was stopped by the man.
                                                  ==================================

Follow-up:
                                                  Mail & Guardian Online
                                                  20 April 2006

Malaysia denies capturing baby ‘Bigfoot’

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
                                                  Malaysian wildlife officials denied capturing a baby “Bigfoot” on Thursday, amid fevered speculation over the existence of the mythical creature in the nation’s southern jungles.

The Berita Harian newspaper reported that a young Bigfoot was caught by a group of men thought to be from the Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) near the southern town of Kota Tinggi two weeks ago.

The paper quoted local residents as saying they had spoken to men who described shooting the creature with tranquilliser darts. The locals then peeked into the back of the their truck to see a large, hairy creature.

But the department’s director general Datuk Musa Nordin denied the report.

“During the period reported, Perhilitan did not mount any operation in the area,” Musa said in a statement carried by the official Bernama news agency.

Freddie Long, the Tourism and Environment Committee chairperson in southern Johor state, said that if a Bigfoot had been captured, it should have been given to local authorities for research.

Bigfoot fever erupted last December when some workers claimed to have spotted three of the beasts, two adults and a youngster, on the edge of a Johor forest reserve.

The tale was given wide coverage in the national press, which also carried stories of other sightings, some dating back decades, and printed photographs of supposed footprints — vague impressions in the jungle floor.

Local authorities treated the claims seriously, with plans for an official expedition to track down the mysterious beasts, and setting up a telephone hotline to report sightings.

Suggestions that the story has been cooked up to lure tourists to Johor have been denied.

Stories of mythical ape-like creatures have been reported in wilderness areas all over the world. They are known as Bigfoot or Sasquatch in the United States and Canada, and yetis in the Himalayas. — AFP

Anonymous

New Straits Times
                                                    Letters to the editor

Set the right priorities
                                                    26 Apr 2006
                                                    L.S.L., Petaling Jaya

I REFER to the report that Bigfoot cannot be taken out of Johor without permission (NST, April 19). It is interesting that the authorities have classified Bigfoot as a totally protected species, despite doubts about its existence.

But one wonders where the priorities lie. What about the many species under threat in Johor, such as the tigers, sunbears, elephants and pangolins? There is rampant poaching and loss or fragmentation of habitats.
                                                    These animals continue to be hunted illegally.
                                                    Perhaps it is the tourist dollar factor that elevates the status of the Bigfoot so it surpasses the importance of endangered species like the rhino, tiger, sunbear and elephant.
                                                    But if we don’t set our priorities straight, these may one day just exist in the same fashion as Bigfoot � in our imagination.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.