Performing for gods and ghouls

Home Page Forums API Global Cultural Beliefs, Legends, Folklore & Mythology Performing for gods and ghouls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The Star Newspaper

Tuesday August 16, 2005

Lim praying before the start of a show.

She was ill and her beloved husband was penniless. She grimaced while pondering her predicament, then raised her sonorous voice and let out her emotions woefully.

Lim Nga Lee, in her 40s, was neatly made up with white and pink powder. Her blue costume swayed as she took slow steps on the stage. She glanced around the temporary prayer hall with her thickly lined eyes in the hazy afternoon. There was no audience.

That did not dampen her spirit. With respectable professionalism, Lee and her team of Chinese opera artistes gave their best in the two-hour show held at Taman Fadason, Jinjang Utara in conjunction with the Hungry Ghost Festival celebrations.

Oldest troupe member, Lim Ah Boon, 65, also plays the erhu.

“It’s slightly upsetting because there is usually only a small audience,� Lee admitted after the performance.

“But then again, we are performing for gods and ghosts. They are watching, we mustn’t deliver a sloppy show,� she said.

Lee is one of the nine artistes and musicians that make up Jian Yu Lin Chinese opera troupe from Pandamaran, Klang. They are performing at nine venues in various parts of the country during the Seventh Lunar Month, and were only in Pandamaran for three days.

It is their busiest month, but it is not the only time of the year they work, according to troupe leader Tan Chong, 53.

On other months, they are invited by temples to hype up religious celebrations, and by families wanting to entertain their ancestors as an act of filial piety.

He said that contrary to popular misconception, about 90% of these stage performers worked on a full-time basis. “They don’t have other day jobs,” he stressed.

The troupes, in general, are paid RM1,000 to RM1,800 per day. Bookings have to be made directly with them one year in advance. Artistes receive salaries between RM40 and RM70 per day depending on their experience.

Audience’ response is usually cool, but to Tan, there is always a demand for these shows as temples and religious celebrations are aplenty in Malaysia.

Tan is worried that soon there will be no one staging the shows as the performers are ageing and the younger set is not interested in the art.

This also makes the troupe members very versatile, switching roles from artistes to musicians.

“We used to have big groups of audience, it’s a stark contrast to what we see today,” said bubbly Koh Chu Hong, 43, the youngest artiste in the troupe.

“We have no choice but to accept reality. It’s a dying art, not many people are fond of it nowadays.

But we take it seriously, because we are performing to gods and ghosts,” she said.

Koh is passionate about the job she has held for two decades. She does it on a full-time basis, putting on heavy make-up and elaborate costumes for more than 200 days a year. The Johor-born single mother of three teenagers travels around the country, and enjoys it.

“I love travelling here and there. I’ve loved the art ever since I watched it for the first time when I was a teenager. I thought the women look very pretty on stage? I guess that’s why I fell for it,” she said.

Koh joined the troupe and spent three years to learn the necessary skills from a master, including voice, script, step, posture and gesture.

She has played numerous roles, women of all ages and from various backgrounds.

The troupe has a repertoire of close to 100 plays, its artistes have to know every scene of each play like the back of their hands, if not every dialogue.

They seldom rehearse, and perfect their skills through frequent performance. However, “you have to have a strong memory, and need to be good at improvisation”, Koh said.

The oldest in the troupe, Lim Ah Boon, 65, has dedicated five decades to the art. It has helped him raise his two children.

He used to play soldier, general and fighter who had to somersault on stage. Now his roles are limited to that of father or grandfather, and he often has to play the erhu (Chinese string instrument played with a bow) at the side of the stage.

“It’s tiring to travel here and there, but what can I do, I need to earn money as I don’t want to burden my children,” Lim said with toothless grin.

The artistes unanimously said they had not encountered anything weird during their shows.

“We pray at the start of every show to inform the gods and ghosts what we are up to. We are doing something for them (spirits), they won’t give us a hard time.

There’s no reason to be scared, we’re doing good deeds,” Tan said.

“We are entertaining them, they won’t scare us,” Lim added.

Chinese opera shows in conjunction with Hungry Ghost Festival are usually held at 2pm to 4pm and 8pm to 11pm. Many a time, the evening sessions are held earlier, to make way for karaoke performances.

Anonymous

Makes for interesting read… My mom and her sisters love to go watch such shows, even now 😀

I remember I use to hang around these functions when i was really young and still living in the kampong. The temple was several houses away from my home and when it was that time of the year I often pestered for my parents or elder siblings to bring me there.

But of cos, the main reason that i wanted to go was really the small hawkers selling titbits and makans beside the temple bwahahahahaha 😆

Anonymous

i’d love to learn how to sing chinese opera, though not for entertaining the mingling ghosts. 😆

Anonymous

@JuggerNaut wrote:

But of cos, the main reason that i wanted to go was really the small hawkers selling titbits and makans beside the temple bwahahahahaha 😆

ya lao boo told me u bloated nw is primarily due 2 wat u mentioned here…mmuuaahhahahaha 😈

lets hit d gym 2gether la. i oso wanna kiam pui leh!

i’m a wayang singer, any1 wanna cut an album 4 me? 😆

Anonymous

Well, if i know how to sing wayang, i wouldn’t care less who the audiences are as long as they appreciate me hahaha 8)

Yah maybe Saturday or Sunday ba, 9x? For the gym I mean.

Anonymous

why not API make an album of songs lar…? surely got a lot of singers around here lei… 😛 if what then API singers can upload their songs and we’ll have our own Top 10 hits. 😆

Anonymous

I used to tinker with a software called Fruity Loop, which to me, is a very good soft for making your own melodies. Tried to do some tunes some years back, but stopped when my hard disk crashed and died.

Should try it, its very addictive for music makers or lovers.

Anonymous

@JuggerNaut wrote:

zhun bo?? if u com den go lor. sometimes u can sleep 48 hrs straight…
                    speakin of sleepin i stil remember playin street fighter wif some1 snorin beside me n yet stil can controlled d fightin movements steadily…no horse run sia… 😈

Anonymous

he won’t be sleeping so much now… he’s got a challenge to lose 8kg within 3 months in the healthy way, without any aid from artificial stuff like diet pills, drinks etc.

keep an eye on him, see if he cheats the scales… 😆

there’s always the interest of writing songs, but i tend to write very sad songs, then i get so sad that i just stop writing. overwhelmed by my own sadness poured into the song until i think no one in their right mind will want to listen, otherwise will become sad until feel like dying. 😛

Anonymous

@Ajeyya wrote:

he won’t be sleeping so much now… he’s got a challenge to lose 8kg within 3 months in the healthy way, without any aid from artificial stuff like diet pills, drinks etc.

hahahah no wonder he hit d gym wif me d other day. so there’s a pact of some sorts goin on between u guys. actualli he was quite serious n hardworkin durin workout. wanted 2 drag him along d next day but guess he needs time 4 d body 2 get use 2 it 1st b4 makin it routine…gd gd gd…next gym trainin 4 him comin soon. 😈 😈 😈

Anonymous

😆 yeah, because he only has 3 months, if he loses 8kg, i’d treat him KFC when i go to singapore next year, maybe 2nd half of the year. that’s the deal there is, a challenge he has to face. but he better keep the weight that way, otherwise, no evidence. 😆 😆

Anonymous

@Ajeyya wrote:

😆 yeah, because he only has 3 months, if he loses 8kg, i’d treat him KFC

KFC??? lidat he sure mati liao. sure bloated back aftr makanin fried ko-ko-kay… 😆

dat day aftr work out we went 4 makan n i asked him 2 join me 4 fish porridge but he chose pig organs meal. waaarauuuu jialat mann. i said better dun lah but he insisted. u shd c his ultra cute expression when he was insistin. soooo KAWAII ne. ah-g00-g00 hahaha!

Anonymous

😆 that’s why it’s important for him to stay off the 8kg until i turn up. otherwise, right after the deal he’ll be inflated once more. and this is also one of the many reasons i’m putting off coming to singapore until 3rd quarter of the year next year, so that it becomes his habit to stay slimmer and enjoy it until he has no desire to rebuild his bulk. 😆 that’ll keep him healthy, very healthy.

Anonymous

If I ate porridge that day, 1 hour later I will start to get hungry again de, and I looked around the food court – mostly noodle or fried food, thats why I chose the piggy meal lah 😯 😀

I’m not really into KFC, tho I don’t mind it. I prefer Japanese food, or Thai food. 😯

Anonymous

@Ajeyya wrote:

😆 that’s why it’s important for him to stay off the 8kg until i turn up. otherwise, right after the deal he’ll be inflated once more. and this is also one of the many reasons i’m putting off coming to singapore until 3rd quarter of the year next year, so that it becomes his habit to stay slimmer and enjoy it until he has no desire to rebuild his bulk. 😆 that’ll keep him healthy, very healthy.

2days wrkout was gd. 2 hrs in gym. he was very hardwerkin. great thing is dat he finally settled(aftr persuaded til i got no mor saliva) wif wat i ate: ikan porridge 😆 4 dinner.

readi, steadi…not pun peepee lah…its MAKANin looorrrr 😆

still tuckin in…d contents in d bowl contains lotsa green so its gd 4 d body n spirit! keep munchin…

n tis is wat he quenched his thirst…its GREEN again…he’ll turned in2 incredible HULK pretty soon 😈

overall verdict: gd workout. gd meal. healthy…very healthy… 😀
                                  hope his stomach is not groanin 4 food @ nite latr…

i feel like i’m bloggin nw…sry folks if onli there’s a backyard 4 d interns 2 thrash toks.

• Author

Anonymous

The Star Newspaper

Tuesday August 16, 2005

Lim praying before the start of a show.

She was ill and her beloved husband was penniless. She grimaced while pondering her predicament, then raised her sonorous voice and let out her emotions woefully.

Lim Nga Lee, in her 40s, was neatly made up with white and pink powder. Her blue costume swayed as she took slow steps on the stage. She glanced around the temporary prayer hall with her thickly lined eyes in the hazy afternoon. There was no audience.

That did not dampen her spirit. With respectable professionalism, Lee and her team of Chinese opera artistes gave their best in the two-hour show held at Taman Fadason, Jinjang Utara in conjunction with the Hungry Ghost Festival celebrations.

Oldest troupe member, Lim Ah Boon, 65, also plays the erhu.

“It’s slightly upsetting because there is usually only a small audience,� Lee admitted after the performance.

“But then again, we are performing for gods and ghosts. They are watching, we mustn’t deliver a sloppy show,� she said.

Lee is one of the nine artistes and musicians that make up Jian Yu Lin Chinese opera troupe from Pandamaran, Klang. They are performing at nine venues in various parts of the country during the Seventh Lunar Month, and were only in Pandamaran for three days.

It is their busiest month, but it is not the only time of the year they work, according to troupe leader Tan Chong, 53.

On other months, they are invited by temples to hype up religious celebrations, and by families wanting to entertain their ancestors as an act of filial piety.

He said that contrary to popular misconception, about 90% of these stage performers worked on a full-time basis. “They don’t have other day jobs,” he stressed.

The troupes, in general, are paid RM1,000 to RM1,800 per day. Bookings have to be made directly with them one year in advance. Artistes receive salaries between RM40 and RM70 per day depending on their experience.

Audience’ response is usually cool, but to Tan, there is always a demand for these shows as temples and religious celebrations are aplenty in Malaysia.

Tan is worried that soon there will be no one staging the shows as the performers are ageing and the younger set is not interested in the art.

This also makes the troupe members very versatile, switching roles from artistes to musicians.

“We used to have big groups of audience, it’s a stark contrast to what we see today,” said bubbly Koh Chu Hong, 43, the youngest artiste in the troupe.

“We have no choice but to accept reality. It’s a dying art, not many people are fond of it nowadays.

But we take it seriously, because we are performing to gods and ghosts,” she said.

Koh is passionate about the job she has held for two decades. She does it on a full-time basis, putting on heavy make-up and elaborate costumes for more than 200 days a year. The Johor-born single mother of three teenagers travels around the country, and enjoys it.

“I love travelling here and there. I’ve loved the art ever since I watched it for the first time when I was a teenager. I thought the women look very pretty on stage? I guess that’s why I fell for it,” she said.

Koh joined the troupe and spent three years to learn the necessary skills from a master, including voice, script, step, posture and gesture.

She has played numerous roles, women of all ages and from various backgrounds.

The troupe has a repertoire of close to 100 plays, its artistes have to know every scene of each play like the back of their hands, if not every dialogue.

They seldom rehearse, and perfect their skills through frequent performance. However, “you have to have a strong memory, and need to be good at improvisation”, Koh said.

The oldest in the troupe, Lim Ah Boon, 65, has dedicated five decades to the art. It has helped him raise his two children.

He used to play soldier, general and fighter who had to somersault on stage. Now his roles are limited to that of father or grandfather, and he often has to play the erhu (Chinese string instrument played with a bow) at the side of the stage.

“It’s tiring to travel here and there, but what can I do, I need to earn money as I don’t want to burden my children,” Lim said with toothless grin.

The artistes unanimously said they had not encountered anything weird during their shows.

“We pray at the start of every show to inform the gods and ghosts what we are up to. We are doing something for them (spirits), they won’t give us a hard time.

There’s no reason to be scared, we’re doing good deeds,” Tan said.

“We are entertaining them, they won’t scare us,” Lim added.

Chinese opera shows in conjunction with Hungry Ghost Festival are usually held at 2pm to 4pm and 8pm to 11pm. Many a time, the evening sessions are held earlier, to make way for karaoke performances.

Anonymous

Makes for interesting read… My mom and her sisters love to go watch such shows, even now 😀

I remember I use to hang around these functions when i was really young and still living in the kampong. The temple was several houses away from my home and when it was that time of the year I often pestered for my parents or elder siblings to bring me there.

Anonymous

i’d love to learn how to sing chinese opera, though not for entertaining the mingling ghosts. 😆

Anonymous

@JuggerNaut wrote:

ya lao boo told me u bloated nw is primarily due 2 wat u mentioned here…mmuuaahhahahaha 😈

lets hit d gym 2gether la. i oso wanna kiam pui leh!

i’m a wayang singer, any1 wanna cut an album 4 me? 😆

Anonymous

Well, if i know how to sing wayang, i wouldn’t care less who the audiences are as long as they appreciate me hahaha 8)

Anonymous

why not API make an album of songs lar…? surely got a lot of singers around here lei… 😛 if what then API singers can upload their songs and we’ll have our own Top 10 hits. 😆

Anonymous

I used to tinker with a software called Fruity Loop, which to me, is a very good soft for making your own melodies. Tried to do some tunes some years back, but stopped when my hard disk crashed and died.

Should try it, its very addictive for music makers or lovers.

Anonymous

@JuggerNaut wrote:

zhun bo?? if u com den go lor. sometimes u can sleep 48 hrs straight…
                                                  speakin of sleepin i stil remember playin street fighter wif some1 snorin beside me n yet stil can controlled d fightin movements steadily…no horse run sia… 😈

Anonymous

there’s always the interest of writing songs, but i tend to write very sad songs, then i get so sad that i just stop writing. overwhelmed by my own sadness poured into the song until i think no one in their right mind will want to listen, otherwise will become sad until feel like dying. 😛

Anonymous

@Ajeyya wrote:

hahahah no wonder he hit d gym wif me d other day. so there’s a pact of some sorts goin on between u guys. actualli he was quite serious n hardworkin durin workout. wanted 2 drag him along d next day but guess he needs time 4 d body 2 get use 2 it 1st b4 makin it routine…gd gd gd…next gym trainin 4 him comin soon. 😈 😈 😈

Anonymous

😆 yeah, because he only has 3 months, if he loses 8kg, i’d treat him KFC when i go to singapore next year, maybe 2nd half of the year. that’s the deal there is, a challenge he has to face. but he better keep the weight that way, otherwise, no evidence. 😆 😆

Anonymous

@Ajeyya wrote:

😆 yeah, because he only has 3 months, if he loses 8kg, i’d treat him KFC

KFC??? lidat he sure mati liao. sure bloated back aftr makanin fried ko-ko-kay… 😆

dat day aftr work out we went 4 makan n i asked him 2 join me 4 fish porridge but he chose pig organs meal. waaarauuuu jialat mann. i said better dun lah but he insisted. u shd c his ultra cute expression when he was insistin. soooo KAWAII ne. ah-g00-g00 hahaha!

Anonymous

Anonymous

If I ate porridge that day, 1 hour later I will start to get hungry again de, and I looked around the food court – mostly noodle or fried food, thats why I chose the piggy meal lah 😯 😀

I’m not really into KFC, tho I don’t mind it. I prefer Japanese food, or Thai food. 😯

Anonymous

@Ajeyya wrote:

2days wrkout was gd. 2 hrs in gym. he was very hardwerkin. great thing is dat he finally settled(aftr persuaded til i got no mor saliva) wif wat i ate: ikan porridge 😆 4 dinner.

readi, steadi…not pun peepee lah…its MAKANin looorrrr 😆

still tuckin in…d contents in d bowl contains lotsa green so its gd 4 d body n spirit! keep munchin…

n tis is wat he quenched his thirst…its GREEN again…he’ll turned in2 incredible HULK pretty soon 😈

overall verdict: gd workout. gd meal. healthy…very healthy… 😀
                                                                hope his stomach is not groanin 4 food @ nite latr…

i feel like i’m bloggin nw…sry folks if onli there’s a backyard 4 d interns 2 thrash toks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.