Some Language bits and pieces

Home Page Forums API Clubhouse Anything Under the Sun… Some Language bits and pieces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    fengshui
    Keymaster

Extracted from http://www.languages.com.sg

Language
      – Systematic communication with vocal symbols, involving a body of words and the method of their usage
      – More than 2700 in the world, with over 7000 dialects
      – Dialect refers to a regional variety of a language that has a different pronunciation, vocabulary or meaning
      – First learnt language is known as the native language or mother tongue
      – Official language of a country is the language in which the government conducts its business

English
      – Official language or language with special status in at least 75 countries with a total population of over two billion
      – Spoken as a first language by approximately 375 million people and as a second language by another 375 million people throughout the world
      – Spoken as a foreign language by more than 750 million people
      – Language of choice for electronically stored information (eighty per cent)
      – Used by all pilots on international flights, to identify themselves

French
      – Spoken in 43 countries on five continents
      – Used by 75 million native speakers and 190 million secondary speakers
      – Official or primary language of 23 African countries
      – Official working language of numerous international organizations including the United Nations, International Red Cross and International Monetary Fund
      – Official language of the European Union
      – Second most frequently used language on the Internet (after English)

Spanish
      – Third most commonly spoken language in the world (after Chinese and English)
      – Official language of 21 countries on four continents
      – Used by almost 300 million people as their first language and another 100 million people as their second language
      – Official language of the United Nations and European Union
      – One of the most frequently used languages for business dealings
      – One of the easiest languages to learn if you already speak English since its vocabulary is similar and its pronunciation is largely phonetic

German
      – Most widely spoken language in Europe with more than 100 million native speakers
      – Key language in the European Union and the rapidly expanding markets of Central and Eastern Europe
      – Widely used as a business, diplomatic and scientific language in Europe, Russia, and parts of Asia

Italian
      – Spoken by an estimated 65 million people worldwide
      – Spoken by one in five of the population in Europe
      – Official language in Italy, Switzerland, Slovenia and Croatia and spoken as second language in 26 other countries including United States, Canada and Australia

Chinese
      – Most widely spoken language in the world (all dialects considered)
      – Used by 800 million mother tongue speakers and another 200 million secondary speakers
      – In the form of Standard Mandarin:
      > Official language of China – the world’s fastest growing economy
      > Official language of the United Nations

And..
      ➡ Three Major Romance Languages : Spanish, French, Italian
      Follow by : Portuguese and Romanian
      ➡ Three most frequently spoken language in the world : Chinese, English, Spanish

Anonymous

If anyone is offering free language classes on French, please do count me in. 😆

Anonymous

If anyone need help on Japanese Language, I maybe able to help depend on my level, but honestly my level is still basic 1, so I will try my best to help also, but those who know more than me, do guide me along.

よろしくお願いします 😉

Anonymous

Hmmm…i wonder who chose English. LOL!!

Anonymous

i would wanna take free lessons on french and jap. =)

Anonymous

@squall_leonhart wrote:

me 😳 didn’t know what the poll was for, then i just chose english lor 😳

Anonymous

@Fatzombie wrote:

@squall_leonhart wrote:

Haha…ok… oh ya, Coolfun didn’t mention what’s this poll for. I just vote for french since i wanna learn it.

Anonymous

I would choose japanese if i had known, now cannot liao waaaaaah 😥

Anonymous

To me learning languages is a very good experience and useful especially when we went oversea, you are able to interact with the people from various countries easily and know where is tourist site and so on, for me I learn Jap is because it is interesting and I like their culture very much, hope I had the chance to research into their culture and other superstitious believed when I get there next time. 😀

Anonymous

I would go for italian for leisure haha..

The italian acsent is always so funny… seen the pizza hut ad? yup, something like tat.

Anonymous

I like italian too!! ^5~
                          but i still prefer french. argh… too bad i don’t have time to go for french lessons. know of any software which teaches french? someone pls intro it to me!! 😆

fengshui
                          Keymaster

@squall_leonhart wrote:

@Fatzombie wrote:

@squall_leonhart wrote:

Haha…ok… oh ya, Coolfun didn’t mention what’s this poll for. I just vote for french since i wanna learn it.

paiseh.. I just edited liao..

I happen to saw this Language Facts in some website, and think interesting so post in here..

The poll is actually to see which language u would choose to master?

Anonymous

i wanna learn FRENCH! 😆
                              then can go to Paris for my Fashion degree, and find a french husband with GREEN eyes.. 🙄
                              then my daughter will have half chinese features with GREEN eyes.. 😉

Anonymous

Green eyes also known as Pixie eyes, and in some foreign lores, pixie eyes is something like orient’s Ying Yang Eyes. 😯

Anonymous

@Amulet wrote:

i wanna learn FRENCH! 😆
                                  then can go to Paris for my Fashion degree, and find a french husband with GREEN eyes.. 🙄

I have a pair of green glow in the dark contact lens. you wanna see how it looks like during a night tour? 😈

• Author

fengshui
                                  Keymaster

Extracted from http://www.languages.com.sg

Language
                                    – Systematic communication with vocal symbols, involving a body of words and the method of their usage
                                    – More than 2700 in the world, with over 7000 dialects
                                    – Dialect refers to a regional variety of a language that has a different pronunciation, vocabulary or meaning
                                    – First learnt language is known as the native language or mother tongue
                                    – Official language of a country is the language in which the government conducts its business

English
                                    – Official language or language with special status in at least 75 countries with a total population of over two billion
                                    – Spoken as a first language by approximately 375 million people and as a second language by another 375 million people throughout the world
                                    – Spoken as a foreign language by more than 750 million people
                                    – Language of choice for electronically stored information (eighty per cent)
                                    – Used by all pilots on international flights, to identify themselves

French
                                    – Spoken in 43 countries on five continents
                                    – Used by 75 million native speakers and 190 million secondary speakers
                                    – Official or primary language of 23 African countries
                                    – Official working language of numerous international organizations including the United Nations, International Red Cross and International Monetary Fund
                                    – Official language of the European Union
                                    – Second most frequently used language on the Internet (after English)

Spanish
                                    – Third most commonly spoken language in the world (after Chinese and English)
                                    – Official language of 21 countries on four continents
                                    – Used by almost 300 million people as their first language and another 100 million people as their second language
                                    – Official language of the United Nations and European Union
                                    – One of the most frequently used languages for business dealings
                                    – One of the easiest languages to learn if you already speak English since its vocabulary is similar and its pronunciation is largely phonetic

German
                                    – Most widely spoken language in Europe with more than 100 million native speakers
                                    – Key language in the European Union and the rapidly expanding markets of Central and Eastern Europe
                                    – Widely used as a business, diplomatic and scientific language in Europe, Russia, and parts of Asia

Italian
                                    – Spoken by an estimated 65 million people worldwide
                                    – Spoken by one in five of the population in Europe
                                    – Official language in Italy, Switzerland, Slovenia and Croatia and spoken as second language in 26 other countries including United States, Canada and Australia

Chinese
                                    – Most widely spoken language in the world (all dialects considered)
                                    – Used by 800 million mother tongue speakers and another 200 million secondary speakers
                                    – In the form of Standard Mandarin:
                                    > Official language of China – the world’s fastest growing economy
                                    > Official language of the United Nations

And..
                                    ➡ Three Major Romance Languages : Spanish, French, Italian
                                    Follow by : Portuguese and Romanian
                                    ➡ Three most frequently spoken language in the world : Chinese, English, Spanish

Anonymous

If anyone is offering free language classes on French, please do count me in. 😆

Anonymous

If anyone need help on Japanese Language, I maybe able to help depend on my level, but honestly my level is still basic 1, so I will try my best to help also, but those who know more than me, do guide me along.

よろしくお願いします 😉

Anonymous

Anonymous

i would wanna take free lessons on french and jap. =)

Anonymous

@squall_leonhart wrote:

Anonymous

@Fatzombie wrote:

@squall_leonhart wrote:

Anonymous

I would choose japanese if i had known, now cannot liao waaaaaah 😥

Anonymous

To me learning languages is a very good experience and useful especially when we went oversea, you are able to interact with the people from various countries easily and know where is tourist site and so on, for me I learn Jap is because it is interesting and I like their culture very much, hope I had the chance to research into their culture and other superstitious believed when I get there next time. 😀

Anonymous

I would go for italian for leisure haha..

The italian acsent is always so funny… seen the pizza hut ad? yup, something like tat.

Anonymous

I like italian too!! ^5~
                                                        but i still prefer french. argh… too bad i don’t have time to go for french lessons. know of any software which teaches french? someone pls intro it to me!! 😆

fengshui
                                                        Keymaster

@squall_leonhart wrote:

@Fatzombie wrote:

@squall_leonhart wrote:

paiseh.. I just edited liao..

I happen to saw this Language Facts in some website, and think interesting so post in here..

The poll is actually to see which language u would choose to master?

Anonymous

i wanna learn FRENCH! 😆

Anonymous

Green eyes also known as Pixie eyes, and in some foreign lores, pixie eyes is something like orient’s Ying Yang Eyes. 😯

Anonymous

@Amulet wrote:

i wanna learn FRENCH! 😆

I have a pair of green glow in the dark contact lens. you wanna see how it looks like during a night tour? 😈

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.